Looking for maru and hyakume persimmon scion

hello friends,

please help, another year of searching for Zenji Maru and hykume (Amagaki) scions in US only. i have eaten many fruits but there wasnt any seeds. if you have one or two scions to spare. i can trade you either scions of persimmons, figs, stone fruits, whatever fruit scion i have that you may like. i have an american d lotus ready to graft on. hopefully this will be my lucky year. thank you!

3 Likes

Did you find either of those? I’ll be looking for them myself this winter. Just curious.

i still havent found the exact variety. but you can ask members here for scions if they have it. i got some good asian persimmon scions but unfortunately im not much of a grafter so none taken. it was my fault. i never grafted anything.

Thanks

There are other forum members near you, I’m sure you know, who’d probably be happy to help you with your persimmon grafting. I would if I were a little closer.

I had no luck until I started doing them only when weather is warm (not just in leaf since our springs take so long to take hold) and also on established rootstocks.

I’ve grafted Chocolate, Coffeecake, Nikita’s Gift, and Prairie Star (American). Have had no luck with Saijo for some reason, wound up buying a tree of it.

3 Likes

thank you! i think i might have to ask favor from one nearby member still a rootstock looking for the scion. hopefully next summer since now things are a little tricky to meet and talk.

I have two kinds of Maru if you remind me in the winter. I grew out many tan persimmons of which Hyakume is one type of them, and I don’t think my season is long enough - they were very bland. So in Seattle it might not do so well, either. Chocolate is the best dark-fleshed persimmon for me by far. The Maru are sweeter but have less flavor and are pretty small. Note that all my persimmons are pollinated and have seeds since the Maru and Chocolate both produce male flowers.

1 Like

@scottfsmith, have you grown Coffee Cake/Nishimura Wase? If so, what do you think of it?
When does Chocolate ripen for you at your location?

Im interested on growing this tan persimmons

I already have chocolate, coffee cake and cinammon, bot none of them producing
What do you think its the best and what are the differences between them?

Do you know of any other tan varieties?

Isnt Maru and chocolate the same?

2 Likes

I don’t have much experience with the tan ones in terms of fruit, I only got Maru and Chocolate to fruit well. One of the others also fruited, Amagake Hyakume, but it was too late to ripen.

The names are all messed up, some names are varieties and others are categories and they often get overlapped. Maru is usually a very small and seedy variety that is dark brown and super sweet. I grew three different Maru-named varieties and they were all like that. Chocolate is like Maru but is much bigger. Maru is considered a type and not a variety. I think Zengimaru is the main variety (the small seedy one), and I have seen Chocolate categorized as a type of Maru. There are also several Hyakumes as it is also a type, I fruited Amagake Hyakume only. They are more tan as opposed to brown. I think Cinnamon is often a synonym for Amagake Hyakume. Coffecake is usually the variety Nishimura Wase. I think Chocolate is usually the variety Tsurunoko.

Hey @ramv I see I missed your question from three years ago… I had a Coffecake but it died before it fruited. It was a weak tree.

1 Like

No worries Scott. My coffee cake fruited last year and it was excellent. Also have Maru, ZenjiMaru.
I’m adding Mikatani Gosho this year as it is supposed to be the best of them all — atleast in my cool summer climate.

3 Likes

Is this the same as ‘Zengi’ maru that was popular in the southern states 100 years ago? Small crisp fruit always sweet even before ripened, nice shade tree?

Yes I think that is it… It is soft when fully ripe but it is PVNA so will not be astringent when still crisp. It has been in the US a very long time. I took scions from a Zengimaru tree in Eastern Maryland that came from J. Russell Smith who supposedly imported it in the 1920s. The USDA also imported many varieties in the 1930s and that formed the basis of persimmons in the US, including Chocolate I think.

2 Likes