Looking for Sea Kale (Crambe maritima)

Saw some for sell at Digging Dog and One Green, but it’s sold out everywhere else that I’m aware of. Anyone have any for sale or know of other sources?

2 Likes

I have them available. I don’t like self-promoting, but since it’s been a day and no one responded I’ll share a link to my nursery.

3 Likes

I got mine from here probably 6 years ago

1 Like

I actually like to support growingfruit members by shopping with them when possible, so thanks for letting me know. I sent you a shipping request through your site.

1 Like

I already tried them, they are sold out, but thanks for your response.

I have some on the way from @JohannsGarden . I am considering buying seeds as well from another source. Does anyone have any germination tips? I keep reading that they are difficult to germinate from seed.

I had better luck germinating them this year by soaking and nicking or removing their thick, kind of spongey seed casing

1 Like

Hello,
I went through my “notes” to see where I got my “katran” which is a type of sea-kale. It did eventually take a quadruple order to yield a stout seedling. I was ordering seeds out of the Ukraine and Russia via E-bay until recently (Thanks Spineless Uncle Joe!). I see it being sold as horseradish seeds but horseradish doesn’t set seed.The katran seeds show all the signs of being a sea-kale. below is basically a “cut and paste”. Possibly you could use it to search for your own seeds. If /once I get a few plants growing, I’ll be sharing them. However that is a big “if” & “when”!.. the “aboiut” is their misspelling not mine… may help you in an online search?

(2020-04-15) edwa-ua2015 Dnepropetrovsk, Ukraine
Root Katran (horseradish) Accord
Number of seeds: aboiut 6-7 seeds
Plant life: perennial
Plant weight: 300-500 g
root are used for cooking
Horseradish seeds must undergo stratification. Therefore, they are sown in September-October (before freezing). Seedlings appear next year. Another way to pass stratification is to place the seeds in a refrigerator or a cold cellar for 2-3 months.

The medium-ripening variety is 120-140 days. The plant is a perennial plant, in the first year it forms a powerful rosette with 6-12 leaves and a thin, long root crop that grows in breadth for the second or third year. The leaves are large, green. Root crop is cylindrical, straight, smooth, 60-120 cm long, weight 300-500 g, with white, dense flesh, acute taste. The roots are excavated in the second or third year of cultivation. The value of this variety is high winter hardiness, frost resistance and drought resistance, excellent spiciness and excellent honey-bearing

1 Like

If they’re beings sold as horseradish seeds out of Russia they probably are of a different Crambe species. Possibly Crambe orientalis.

1 Like

Thought I would share an update photo taken of one of the plants that I bought from Johann.

2 Likes

Excellent! It looks like you found a great spot for it to thrive.

1 Like

Yes, they are all doing well. Can you give me some tips on dividing them? I’m not planning on dividing them this year, I figure it needs to get established first, but I’d like to eventually divide them. What time of the year (spring or fall)? How?

I can’t say that I’ve experimented with too many options for dividing, but personally I’m comfortable with dividing or taking root cuttings from larger roots in the early spring when they have broken dormancy so the cuttings/divisions start growing immediately to get established.

1 Like

Well, I have 3 or 4 plants that survived and this one should seed. Do you know of a good resource to read more about growing it from seed @JohannsGarden ? I am hoping to grow more from the seeds that I collect.

1 Like

They don’t appear very self fertile so unless two different plants will be flowering at the same time you should just enjoy eating the “broccolis”. They are tasty!

1 Like

Sea Kale waking up for the season. This picture was taken today:

1 Like