Loquats

My biggest Gold Nugget Lowquat bloomed out before Christmas, but the other one looks like it’s budding to bloom in a couple of weeks. I think this is pretty common in this part of Georgia. Sometimes when the fruit gets yacked by a freeze the trees will bloom again. But it’s not something one can count on. This is what I’ve noticed about them will very limited experience.

1 Like

Loquat season kicked off in Miami Florida!!!IMG_20200216_115741 IMG_20200216_115734 IMG_20200216_115752

8 Likes

Most Gold Nugget are seedlings grown by seed, that is a standard for that variety, i’d imagine that from tree to tree of ‘Gold Nugget’ each tree would crop at a different time, regardless of size or age.

Most “Gold Nugget” Loquat sold in western U.S. nurseries are airlayers from the stock at LaVerne growers in Piru CA.

1 Like

Thanks for that information, someone living in California was told the exact opposite by the nursery near where she lives, that most “Gold Nugget” Loquat are grown by seed, that the ones they sell where grown by seed.

Sounds like their supplier is not LaVerne.

A better cultivar from California is Big Jim, a selection from Jim Neitzel.

1 Like

I am guessing that their supplier might be ‘Paradise Nursery’ in Chatsworth, CA. They sell a lot of ‘Gold Nugget’ loquat grown by seed, probably intended to be used for root stock.

1 Like

Hi,
I just discover the site, and would like to exchange varieties especially loquats! i tasted around 15 varieties, inclusive gold nugget that has more fungus than the others. but i will be interested by winter harvesting ones, i read ‘christmas’, ‘early red’, … hope we could communicate :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Finally looks like I’m going to have some fruit on my loquat this year…not sure when exactly it started blossoming. Guessing late November…

not sure why I put this tree where I did, but it’s very healthy with little maintenance…curious to see how this fruit compares other local ones I’ve tasted…

3 Likes

Loquat fruit starts to ripen about ‘5 1/2 months to 6 months’ after 'Flowers start blooming. End of May to mid June, is when I think you will have fruit on it.

Mine start ripening late March and April. I would think yours should start ripening about the same time.

JeremyMillrood would you sell pollen they are in the apple family would love to try some cross pollinating as in the apple family (rosaceae ) things in different genus’s seem to cross a lot.

Also anyone else around NC any of these loquats flowering?
I bought a guitar in NC On the 16th I plan to fly down for a week
(Raleigh–Durham airport)

I ate some of these I am almost positive in TX, and LA they are very good
they call them Chinese apricots I believe.

I read the flowers would be killed in a cold climate , (of) Eriobotrya japonica
but another species In china blooms so that one could be grown or hybridized to flower in a colder climate.

(I wonder if Christmas loquat would bloom right here only see it on 2 posts here)

Our loquats are too young to flower, they are seedlings that I am planning to use as root stock. Some of the later cropping loquats are the ones that are more likely to crop in ground in cooler climates, yet Illinois is too cold for them to crop if planted in the ground, and in a pot it would be best to get an early cropping variety, because of the short growing season that you have. Yet it would be best to keep the plant above freezing temperatures if you do that, to lengthen the crop time, and to not compromise the chance of a decent crop.

Thank you Alan I know IL. Is too short a season saw something on another forum (tropical fruit forum search Eriobotrya ) , and a while ago looked up some other species
that some bloomed in a short season.

I wonder if I did plant ouside if it would not flower , but still survive I did see some living in zone 5 in a protected area,
but it was online so not sure I can believe it . – (edit a reference to it surviving )
(maybe covered in burlap or Christmas Lights)

I could believe it could adapt , with time, but reading here even in the carolina’s I see people have them, but they are not fruiting.

Eriobotrya in Flora of China @ efloras.org

Oh that is why I asked for pollen I do not see a reason to grow a seed, and wait years for fruit just for the pollen to cross breed.

If I had a piece of land I would .
I plan to use a paint brush to pollinate the flowers, and disect the male flowers so they do not self pollinate.

Now If I get some intergeneric hybrids with a loquat, and another type of pome fruit I will baby that though.

(I think I would dilute the pollen with baking flour since it only takes one pollen grain to make a seed, and try a number of different species at least I had access to think a medlar , and loquat hybrid , but mostly common stuff since do not have a medlar.

That being said If I had sucess, and let people know it is possible and they did it, and got the credit I would be happy I made it happen even though I didn’t have the resources to grow a bunch of offspring at least my idea, and results brought a new fruit into the world for others to improve upon…

thanks for the info…had no idea they took that long…it’s strange having something blossoming in winter time…

1 Like

Sounds like an interesting project! This article seems to confirm intergeneric hybridization can occur between Eriobotrya and at least some other members of Rosaceae . - looks like they successfully crossed loquat with Indian Hawthorn in that instance. Not sure if my ‘Christmas’ loquat will flower again this year, but if it does I’ll try and remember to PM you if you’d still want some pollen at that point.

1 Like

I’d stay away from contaminating the pollen. I was planning to hybridize things with loquat like apples, yet apples was not something on the top of my list of choices. I was trying to say that since I am only growing seedlings right now and then grafting on to them later it will be a long time until I’d have any pollen, at least a few years from now.

Fruit is ripening nicely…Fruit on other trees in the neighborhood have turned organgish already…these are obviously more of a yellow, not sure whether it’s just a different variety or if they’ll change color as they ripen…guess I’ll find out soon enough…

8 Likes