Los Angeles fruit tourism

I just booked a flight to visit my brother in Los Angeles in mid February. My parents will also be visiting at the same time so I have to figure out some things that we can do together, but I would also like to spend some time doing some “fruit tourism” while I am in town for a few days. Does anybody have any recommendations for places to go to forage or visit? I have seen posts before about avocado trees figs and citrus in the area but I would probably be relying on I naturalist or your recommendations for where exactly to go. This will be my first time in LA but I have been to California to visit a couple times now in different cities as well as many national parks.

2 Likes

In what Los Angeles community will you stay?

Pasadena

Not necessarily fruit related, but consider visiting the Huntington Library, art museum, and botanical gardens on the property.

2 Likes

That sounds great, I will check it out for sure.

1 Like

As for agriculture, it is quite a distance to anything I’d recommend, and foraging in February will be limited to Citrus at the risk of be shot and then arrested (!). I’ll give it some thought though and get back to you.

1 Like

It’s likely we will be going to Joshua Tree and possibly to the beach and other various day trips. So anything en route is on the table.

My brother will be off work while we are there so I’ll have transportation available. I’m not opposed to a worthwhile multi hour trip.

1 Like

There will be no avocado yet in Feb but I also like the Huntington Library.

1 Like

Going west on the I-10 you will arrive at the Santa Monica Pier, the Venice Beach boardwalk, and the Farmer’s market held nearby on Wednesdays and Saturdays.

Traveling east on I-10 toward Joshua Tree you will pass through my home town of Redlands and the adjacent historic Citrus areas of Crafton and Mentone – now mostly absorbed by suburbs and estate homes. Exit on Ford Avenue and travel north over the hill and then turn right on 5th Avenue. Up a little ways you will come to the intersection of Wabash Avenue and find the Farquhar Citrus stand - likely with some fruit in season. Avoid the “farm” stands over on Hwy 38 – they sell imported fruit.

Continuing on I-10 east you will come to Cabazon, home to an Indian gaming resort but next door is Hadleys. There is a small takeout cafeteria there offering amazing date shakes. The store itself sells packaged dried fruits and nuts.

Joshua Tree Natl. Monument is a large area. Many people visit the northern section next to Twenty Nine Palms, but I recommend heading down the I-10 a bit farther to the south entrance from the Cottonwood Springs Road exit. The short nature loop just past the entrance is interesting, and then farther up is the Cottonwood Springs / Mastodon Peak trail system accessible from the campground area. Be careful where you step as rattlesnakes - esp. babies will be active.

3 Likes

Thanks so much Richard.

If I remember correctly the Cottonwood Springs entrance is near the Jumping cholla cactus garden. My wife most certainly would agree that they jump, I have my doubts.

1 Like

Hey Ryan. You may know about this but I like to post it from time to time because I think its a really cool resource. I’ve tracked down several trees by using it and also added a couple in my town that I planted in the City Park.

I know this isn’t exactly what you had in mind- I’m sure you don’t want to be driving all over LA just to find one or two trees here and there. But its a neat resource to keep in mind and wouldn’t hurt to check the area you will be staying in just in case there are some unique fruits. Good luck!

1 Like

Be careful of postings from people who feel they are entitled to harvest fruit on private property where they are not welcome.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reminder! I have the app for that one.

1 Like

Yes I’ll have to keep an eye out for this at my own place at some point.

1 Like

Unfortunately, only fruit in season in February are citrus.

If you go to the local farmers market, you may get some fresh strawberries, I can get fresh strawberries now. I see them ripening up in the field. By Feb, there will be a lot more.

1 Like

I wonder if loquats might be in season there then, California being so mild. Then again the trees there are grown for the tropical look of the trees, I don’t think that the fruit is marketed there

1 Like

You can go to: https://oasisdate.com/

I visited it in April few years ago and they had a wide selection of dates to try. Date harvest is September/October, but dates have very long shelf life either at room temperature or refrigerated. It is close to Joshua Tree.

1 Like

They have a wide selection of dates at Hadley’s.

Actually they look normal compared to many trees here.

There’s one or more on nearly every block in many southern CA communities – most of which are feral. Each tree produces more fruit than the neighborhood or foraging crows and doves can handle. There’s no point to producing it commercially.

1 Like