Lost Apple Project Apple Reviews

Who here is growing any of the newly rediscovered apples from the lost apple project?

I have fruited a few kittageskee and they were good, and should have some shackleford to try this year. Does anyone else have reviews of any of these apples? It would be good to get some more feedback to see which ones are worth growing.

6 Likes

Thanks for the link! Pretty much not growing any of those yet. Jefferis is on the list

Thanks for the link. Spring will be here before we know it.

Back when Baldwin was king. I bet most of you have never tasted one. When they are good they are very, very good and when they’re bad they are mediocre.

2 Likes

I’m growing Burbank’s “Gold Ridge”. Doing fine, but hasn’t bloomed yet.

I have had quite a few Baldwin’s over the years. I agree with you. At times, when they are mediocre they are a big disappointment. That’s why I I do not have one in my orchard. They look pretty BUT a hit or miss with taste. I noticed the one local orchard has not had any for the last 3 or 4 years.

They are also an apple that needs full sun exposure and good drainage. Some varieties are more demanding that others in this respect. Such types also need more sunny days to reach high enough brix to be really good.

Am growing Kittageskee and Shackleford. K is a definite winner here but Shackleford is a dud here, although that describes a lot of heirlooms grown in my yard. Dave Benscoter raved about Shackleford’s taste where he found (Idaho?) it but Beach in his “Apples of New York” rated it only “fair to good.” I’d agree with “fair” but even that would be charitable. I’m removing my Shackleford limb. Maybe it thrives out West? It wouldn’t surprise me though if other East coast growers got better results.

2 Likes

No fruit yet but I have the following growing in the orchard. Arkansas Beauty
Ewalt
Gold Ridge
Kittageskee
Nero
Shackleford
Streaked Pippin
and Elkhorn in the nursery

For me Ewalt is the most interesting because in originated a few miles from my home before 1800. Described as good to very good quality and a very good keeper. Time will tell. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

As it happens, that’s why I grafted Gold Ridge, too. Burbank’s Gold Ridge Experimental Farm is a short distance from me in Sebastopol, CA.

3 Likes

Shackleford spent last season getting roots established. It is showing some growth now, so I didn’t kill it after all. It will be another couple years, probably, before it offers debut samples. Since this isn’t much different country from where it was recovered, it may be pretty good. (Which would still be winning by a length compared to the stuff grocers offer these days.)

@hambone sent me a Kittageskee scion this late in spring, so will try to get it going somewhere. Gotta respect that level of excitement.

Looks like my Gold Ridge graft will bloom this season. It’s budding and leafing out later than most.

1 Like

That’s good to hear. I grafted Gold Ridge this spring and it’s still just sitting there not budding out yet. If it’s naturally later then maybe there’s still hope for it.

Butter Sweet Pennsylvania, Ewalt, and Iowa Flat grafts are all budding out.

1 Like

I have CAR on my Kit. This is in middle Tennessee.