Matt_in_Maryland is now Matt_in_Pennsylvania

Hello, Friends. After being away for many months- I have returned with mixed feelings.

This past year- I underwent a cataclysmic divorce from my ex, which blew up our household and land holdings. In a sense- I lost (am losing) everything from that phase of my life.

I have moved back to Pennsylvania from where I originally hailed to be with friends and family, and to take a job in my career field here. My family or extended family owns properties in Scranton and Dunmore (Zone 6b) and also near Montrose (much colder). I spent the past year trying to re-locate as many of my plants as I could from Maryland to Pennsylvania to these various properties. Lots of items were lost, but I have been amazed by how much has survived. I am in the process of making an inventory of the survivors which I will eventually post on my profile.

This whole episode has been/ continues to be very challenging psychologically. My son, who is currently 7 years old, still lives in Maryland with his mother. I enjoy custody of him every other weekend, driving 8 hours just to host him for what are effectively 48-hour visits. I get him for longer periods in the summer. I love him so much. He is the best thing I have ever “grown.”

I continue to seek solace and therapy in growing fruit, vegetables, and other beautiful plants. I kept up the fight this past summer, on some of my mother’s property (formerly my late grandfather’s property) where she has one of her gardens (of which she allotted me a portion).

At the end of this post- You can see me holding a Georgia Rattlesnake watermelon I successfully grew (delicious; 24 pounds!). More posts and images hopefully to come.

My old handle “Matt_in_Maryland” will eventually be discontinued.

Now I will be known to you as “Matt_in_Pennsylvania.”

I have many fond memories of our chats and exchanges (and in-person visits!) over the past several years, and I hope to re-kindle that with you.

I apologize to everyone whose messages I failed to reply to these past several months. Please forgive me. I had a rough year. I will try to respond to those messages as I am able… and will be forging ahead into the usual projects in fits and starts. I will be severely limited in my ability to send scions for a while… but that might resume someday too, if the fates allow.

Please say hello by replying to this post. Don’t be a stranger. God bless you.

50 Likes

I had wondered where you were and hoped everything was okay. Glad to have you back here.

5 Likes

I am new here and have read many of your posts. Thatbis the thing about a forum. You get the sense of feeling like you know someone after reading so many of their thoughts. Sorry to hear that you are going through all of this in your life and I am glad that you are still finding solace in you plantings. I guess this is a me and you meeting for the first time post as well! Glad to meet you! Hope that things go better for you in 2020 :+1:

4 Likes

@Matt_in_Pennsylvania,
Hi Matt,
I am so sorry to hear about the divorce. The breakup of your family unit is so sad. Glad that you will continue to be a presence in your son’s life. I am sure he enjoys hanging out with dad and roaming dad’s orchard.

Glad to see you are back here. You have friends here. If there are any fruit varieties you need or want that I have, please PM me.

4 Likes

Here’s a big welcome back hug from a fellow fruit grower in PA!!!

1 Like

Welcome back. I hope you are doing as well as can be expected. We are here for you.

2 Likes

Welcome Back @Matt_in_Pennsylvania. Sorry to hear of your rough patch. If you are up in Scranton, you might be the nearest person to me on the map now (Bloomsburg). I do not have a ton of fruit types, but what I do have, you are certainly welcome to have cuttings of.

3 Likes

Good to see you again, Matt, we’ve missed you. So sorry to hear about your travails. And don’t feel bad about not responding for a while to a fruit forum, there are more important things to worry about. I know during some situations over the last year, I haven’t felt like posting either. But, it is nice to have some familiar, and new, folks to chat with, too.

Good luck with your future endeavors, and we look forward to hear about your new fruit growing exploits.

1 Like

Keep on keeping on. These things are tough, but we get through them if only to be there for our kids and to make a new future for all of us. Best of luck to you.

4 Likes

Matt! I hoped you’d re-surface, knew you were going through rough waters of some kind. Welcome back.

5 Likes

Welcome back Matt

2 Likes

Welcome back Matt. Sorry about all you have gone through.

1 Like

Glad to hear from you and look forward to your future contributions. Best of luck in this new phase of your life…

1 Like

Missed you Matt, May your new life be fruitful and you find joy in what you love. Welcome back.

1 Like

Missed your engaging commentary these last several months, Matt. Sorry to hear about your rough times, here’s hoping the road gets better onward.

1 Like

Welcome back Matt. As a man who’s also gone through the gut wrenching nature of a divorce, I can relate. Time heals all. Gardening will certainly soothe your transition back to a “normal” life. Wish you all the best.

2 Likes

Welcome back Matt, wishing you the best and looking forward to your posts :slight_smile:

1 Like

I can’t recall, but we probably shared a message or two in the past…anyhow welcome back.

And I can identify with the child…mine was 9 when the big split came…and now she’s 32.
You’ll get past it. But every situation is different, too.
Best for 2020!

3 Likes

Welcome back to Pennsylvania and hope things continue to get better for you!

1 Like

God Bless,Matt.I hope 2020 will be a good year.bb

1 Like