Mature viewers only -- explicit Jujube videos/photos

oh, ok thanks for clarifying. Was hoping those were self-rooted as that would be so encouraging. Excellent report nonetheless!

use to hate autumn simply because trees go dormant and not much else to do. But now have something to look forward to as it is when juju airlayers drop their foliage in cold weather will it be safest to peer into their innards. Below is another chico sequence

and below is GI-1183 airlayered using Ensure plastic bottles. Quite an expensive supplemental drink, so happy to have some utility to the plastic waste. Ensure bottles are soft enough to be cut and punctured at the bottom for drainage but likewise flexible enough to return to its normal shape after having them wrap around girdled juju stems. The bottle cap holds the bottles snug, and may be removed temporarily for watering…
i should have left the stem in the bottle but my curiosity got the better of me and pulled it out, damaging a lot of rootlets… Will find out if the few wispy root hairs on this specimen would support it when starts leafing out next year

7 Likes

jujube pests, pls see link below. Here in vegas, stinkbugs/leaf-footed bugs/squashbugs sometimes attack the fruits.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/320197950_EMERGING_PESTS_OF_ZIZIPHUS_JUJUBA_CROP_IN_ROMANIA/download

never met the gentleman who posted this, but reading his article makes me think we have similar neuron-wiring. He says he eats jujus like popcorn, and if remember it right i wrote that too somewhere.

2 Likes

Yep!

1 Like

that makes the three of us eating jujus like they’re popcorn!

found my entry here of same verbiage back in 2017 :slight_smile:

i guess i eat other fruits like i eat popcorn, lol

1 Like

I guess we all pretty much like popcorn too!!!

1 Like

so we’re trying to reach a wider audience for our youtube channel. It is about our yearly first-come first-served giveaways. While the intent is to share with others who aren’t members of this good forum, members here are equally welcome to avail of the offer(regardless if you’ve been a previous recipient of a few juju samplers, or a recipient of many samplers). Actually don’t remember much anymore who i have given what and how many.

this Thanksgiving(and hopefully every thanksgiving day beginning this year), we will post a note re: giveaways at the comments section of the youtube video below. So if there is an X-number of offers, then the first X-number of interested parties to post their requests on the comments will each get a freebie. Interested parties may email us their mailing address at jujubemulberry@gmail.com, using the username they posted their requests with at the comments section.

as always, shipping is gratis, but offers are limited to residents of continental USA only( excludes Alaska).

advanced Happy T-Giving everyone :slight_smile:

btw, the embedded video above will play but doesn’t lead to the actual youtube page…
you can post your reply-request on the actual page-- pls click here

6 Likes

Cliff,

I just stumbled upon this post today and thought I should mention that I grafted Bu Lu Shu this year with wood from @scottfsmith I think he originally got it from you in 2015, as he sent me what he had leftover that time, but I don’t think it took for me.

Then, this past spring he sent me more and the new graft produced a single fruit. I don’t think it is a rootstock, as it was 29 brix and pretty large. Or if it is a rootstock, what a good one :slight_smile:

It’s about the 6th pic down in this post:

2 Likes

I might have gotten it long enough ago to have wood from the original graft … before the rootstock took over.

Jujube suckers can go from nothing to taking over the whole plant in only a couple years.

4 Likes

i don’t have buluoshou either, unfortunately… I hope your putative specimen is the real deal, as quite possibly— the only clone available in usa! In connecticut of all places!

re: jujus from USDA’s or TVA’s field stations, we currently have chico, r4t3, ga-866, and gi-1183 as self-rooted specimens. Should be great alternatives to insure their survival (or more importantly, preservation) in regions which could decimate grafts due to severe dieback…

yeah, so much in a hurry to mass-produce desirable cultivars as self-rooted clones.
For the sole purpose of donating to as many people as we can:)

1 Like

so we just posted the Tree-giving this T-giving at our experimental youtube channel. Intent is to widen the audience pool as well as to invite more folks to join Growingfruit :slight_smile:

freebies are for everyone(first-come first-served basis), regardless of whether or not you’ve received anything from us in the past

4 Likes

@BobVance @KYnuttrees @scottfsmith

Brix sounds right. What is weight and shape? It’s noted to have excessive vegetative growth without putting much vertical vigor. The fruit should also not fall from the tree when ripe, hence the name. Texture should be close to that of a drying variety rather than fresh.

3 Likes

Size was at least medium-large, maybe large. I didn’t weigh it, but I’d guess about 15 grams. It didn’t put on that much vertical growth, compared to the other grafts on the tree. I picked it, so I don’t know about it falling. I don’t have that many jujubes which fall anyway, though that may just have to do with me picking them before they get to that point.
Here’s the pic from the other thread.

The one thing which doesn’t match is that the texture seemed fine for fresh eating to me. But, this site is very good at keeping moist enough to grow well, without being water-logged. That’s probably why both jujubes and the lawn grow twice as fast as elsewhere.

But, this was just a new graft, and it’s hard to draw many conclusions from a single fruit. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

blsz.PNG

That looks roundish? Bul Lou Su Zao (according to the nursery reports and pictures in China), should be elongated kind of like a barrel with a flatten top and bottom. It’s considering a late variety, maturing in 110 days. It should have a bumpy skin/surface (basically not smooth) with a concave top.

Average measurements for fruit (obviously there is variation due to lack of uniformity) - 4.45cm (length) x 3.22 cm (width) x 2.8 cm (diameter) , 1.75 in x 1.27 in x 1.10 in

Leaf - tapering to a point, rounded base 5.1cm x 2.6cm, 2 in x 1 in

peduncle should be thin and long.

I was just rereading. It has been sold fresh, but it’s uncommon because it is considered to be very unproductive (relative to newer varieties) and is known to be susceptible to jujube witches broom. Hence, it’s not involved in many new plantings.

3 Likes

really like the informative correspondence @BobVance and @JustPeachy :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Jujubes dangling in late November with the weather temperature near 60s.

10 Likes

a recent publication sure worth reading. Seems like Romanians are just as keen on jujubes as the Aussies are

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/351690613_Review_on_Some_Features_of_the_Chinese_Jujube_Ziziphus_jujuba_Mill

3 Likes

when propagating trees, grafting evokes a bit of technique and art(and glamour) compared to poaching root cuttings. There’s not much technique involved with obtaining root cuttings and definitely not glamorous nor artistic, lol!
but with jujus, the end justifies the means. As the resulting products are way more desirable than the grafted counterparts. Can;t wait to populate otherwise barren and drought/pest-ridden regions of this planet with self-rooted jujubes! Spinosa-type rootstocks were our good buddies for a long time, but now dumping them as we have new BFF’s

below is our ~4 yr old seed-grown juju(vegas lucky) rootball subjected to its very first amputations of lower extremities. A compulsory organ donor yearly-- for the rest of its life. And intend for all its clones to undergo the same and broadcast to as many friends/family or even random folks we will never ever meet :slight_smile:

below is the mother plant surrounded by the “yield” buried in these pots. Just hoping >50% of these will launch upright stems this spring…

7 Likes

is Fucuimi early, mid or late ripening?

Does anyone grow jujube variety name Dragon, Huizao, Kongfucui , Maya?

2 Likes