This is a 10 month old Honey Jar seedling

The 4 month old that bloomed did not set fruit! :flushed:

9 Likes

I hope at least one of them is promising :slight_smile:

1 Like

thou shalt not spell Xu zhou with thou

besides, Xu zhou has more pizzazz than Xu thou :grin:

7 Likes

“coco” jinjolero loco. Mucho fruto pero no bueno en el desierto…

7 Likes

I like pizzazz…

I thought my tree was loaded until I saw yours. However I do have a few of them.

Yo tengo jinjolero (new word… Thank you Raf) “coco” uno fruto solomente para comer. :slightly_frowning_face: Es mejor que nada! Sí?

I have a 3 1/2 foot long graft of Coco with one fruit, a 2 1/2 foot long graft of R4T3 with one fruit, and a foot long graft of Black Sea with one fruit. These are all on Lang and they are the ONLY fruits on the whole tree!!!

6 Likes

I can relate to that! I love this tread, would love some but no juju fruits here :disappointed:

3 Likes

It will get there… it’s hard to wait and then this year I haven’t had much fruit.

3 Likes

this is why i collect the same variety from different nurseries they seem to have the same name but the fruits are not exactly the same. what your experience?

1 Like

how do they compare? taste wise? fruit size? Of they just very similar?

I only had OGW Contorted fruit last year. They were smaller than SC, but very tasty with a bit of tart to balance the sweet. Have not tasted Burnt Ridge or England’s Contorted fruit yet.

1 Like

Sweet Tart jujube. @castanea

I don’t have nearly as many Chico this year but look at the size of these

SiHong last year had lots of very small fruit. This year they seem to be sizing up much better

This I’ve been calling Texas Honey. This is the first seedling I grew from an unknown fruit obtained from Brenham Discount Trees where I bought my Chico. The fruit has been small and Honey Jar type. This is the first year it has had much fruit so maybe get a better evaluation.

10 Likes

su azufaifo coco es mejor? posible que el calor extremo aqui afecte a la variedad rusa…

i currently have two cultivars of contorted from different nurseries(plus several more that i grew from seed needing to have their fruit qualities assessed…), also have two different kinds of winter delight(supposedly mango dongzao), and also have possibly two different varieties of shanxi li

btw, between me and @k8tpayaso-- we likely have more cultivars of contorted than what all nurseries have, combined, since we grow ours from seed.

3 Likes

Yo no sé este momento. Tengo no otra fruto de “coco” y no como este fruto. Pero possible mejor porque este verano aquí tiene no mucho calor (well…relatively— I’m struggling here…lol) Nada desierto aquí ahora. ¿El Coco es Rusa?
I have one chance this year to taste it…

btw I got to taste another contorted seedling fruit today. Very small but also very small seed. Sweet/tart and crunchy. I have one more to ripen.

1 Like

incidentally @Seattlefigs , below is winter delight from ogw. Yes, ogw messed up orders at least twice(autumn beauty, winter delight, and even massandra). While i can;t even ascertain if this potted winter delight is true to name, this specimen pretty much exonerates ogw for all the confusion they have caused.

as you can see it is potted, and has been potted for three years now, but the fruits are excellent. Hands down better than hj. More juicy, size is bigger overall(if fruit size was averaged), and sweeter than hj, considering that all of our hj’s we are grafted on full-sized trees havingh cooler, and quite likely, moister soil.
despite being grown in this pot that got toasted by several days of 110F and not getting much access to soil nutrients(other than what is in the pot), well, fruits of this so-called winter d already exceed hj in every dimension

10 Likes

so did you get autumn beauty? or winter delight? it looks more like winter delight to me.

Raf, what is the size of your pot?

What is the oldest jujbe tree you have kept in pot?

Well it does not look like autumn beauty, at least not what the autumn beauty that i have that looks like the autumn beauty of NMSU. That is if qiyue xian is the same as alcalde and the same as autumn beauty.

Glad you say it looks like winter delight, but there are other winter d’s out there that have radically different fruit, like the one i obtained from jfae. Confusing right?

What matters to me now is that the winter d i have has excellent fruits despite the sparse, if not outright hostile, growing conditions it has been subjected to.

@mamuang i have several potted jujus from seed that have been potted > 4 or 5 yrs. The oldest i have that has gotten productive despite being pot-bound are v. booty and v. lucky. Grafted ones(mostly li) i have also had for more than 5 yrs. Many are productive while some are not, which may be credited to performance of rootstock. I also have several runty >5 yr old juju seedlings growing on tiny cans, some of which just started blooming this year which will post photos of.

Forgot to say, pot of ogw’s winter d is 3 gallons, and only 70% filled with soil

4 Likes

Since I have very limited sunny spots, growing jujubes in pots is a likely scenario.

My Burntridge So is a big disappointment. It is 4th leaf. I got a few, subparvfruit one year. No fruit last year or this year. The tree itself has sent shoots out from 3 out of 4 direction. It look lopeside. The contortion is not pronounce. I am likely to graft it over.

If Massandra fruit (also from Burntridge) still awful this year, it will be grafted over, too.

3 Likes