Mature viewers only -- explicit Jujube videos/photos

from recent memory, birds and stink bugs do seem to converge on HJ more, probably due to its thin skin, but have seen them attack other cultivars. Wild type jujubes are either too sour, or too bland, but have seen some being eaten by birds(don’t remember stink bugs doing that though)

1 Like

below is a self-rooted R4T3. We just posted our DIY treatise re: the process on this youtube video

9 Likes

Nice informative video, love the guitar music on the background!!!

1 Like

@jujubemulberry

Hi Jujubemulberry,
I was on Youtube and went here and joined the group and tried to find the way to PM you regarding scions of jujube for zone 7B (Staten Island, New York).
Let me know if you can see my message…
Thank you and greetings!

2 Likes

You made it here! When you want to tag someone use @jujubemulberry and it will notify us that we have been spoken to. :clap::+1:

1 Like

just sent you a pm, it will appear as a green little dot on your icon at the upper right corner of forum webpage. Just click on your icon and it will scroll down the messages sent to you or replied to you and just click on each of them.

i see you’re from new york. I don’t remember sending stuff to new york before so you would be a great case study. My folks/friends who live there live in the concrete jungle…

Does anyone have China Yellow? The photo below is an old photo. I left my tree behind in California.

The first few years it had fruit it was boring and I ignored it for years. The last year or two I revisited the fruit and it was quite good, in a slightly different kind of way. I would like to grow it again in this new climate.

7 Likes

wish i played ‘surrogate’ to your orphan trees before you left cali …

sure reminds me of the time Shirley was telling me about Mr Meyer’s juju collection …

1 Like

I had so many things to do before we left and no time to do many of them. We had sold our house and had to be out and had to be in Missouri for the new school year for my son. I had been in the same house for 30 years and had accumulated more stuff than you can imagine. I took 100s of potted trees with me but left 100s of potted trees behind including many jujubes. I left behind Goose Egg and Hulu. I gave away at least 30 or 40 pottted trees of various kinds but didn’t even have time to organize and give away the others. I was hoping until the last minute that I would be able to take more with me but it just didn’t happen. I also accidentally left behind at least 20 hand pollinated chestnut seeds of crosses that can’t be done again for many years. And I still don’t have an inventory of what I brought with me.

still have your sweet tart, which, of course is on its own roots. Tell me if you want it back. It didn’t grow much being potted, but it did bear fruits. I can always take a couple root cuttings to ensure i have at least one clone and ship you the original, larger specimen

1 Like

Thank you. I doubt it would mature fruit here. When did yours mature fruit?

they matured late august to late sept. They were not at their prime though due to overcrowding of the pots. Fruits were tiny like wild-types, but were already good despite of(truly tart and sweet). I anticipate for them to be bigger and better planted in larger pot or directly on ground(we are planning on moving to another property ourselves). Already a serious recession and job losses where we are at for several months now, but your fellow californians are still trickling in to to buy properties here, so no downward movement of home prices. At least not yet…
anyway, pm me your address as soon as you’ve situated your family in your new home. Am sure you’re much preoccupied getting everything sorted

Hello Jujubemulberry, just wanted to say thank you for the insightful perspectives youve been posting on your thread. I have a degree in botany with years of practicall experience since my teens and have to say never come across anything more novel than your theoretical assertions regarding perennial lifespans. While I cant say I agree with everything youve posted, it does not mean I disagree with them either, and thats what makes your comments impossible to disregard. You are onto something that is not on any textbook out there.
Also have to say the music and witty presentations make this thread so multidimensional. Plus the dimension of time involved with your seed-grown cultivars.

5 Likes

Forgot to say I am currently in Las Vegas area visiting my mom and she has an empty yard. It is why have been browsing through garden forums and ended up here. Looks like I will be loading her yard with jujubes and mulberries!

It is beautiful I agree

@tonyOmahaz5, how old are your Honey Jar trees?

@k8tpayaso, how old are your Li trees ?

Sorry for the lumped up questions. Just realized the forum does not let me post too many separate responses

2 Likes

My oldest Li was planted here in 2016. I have another that I planted in 2018.

Welcome to the forum!! This is a really good place to be if you like growing things. But it does make you even a bit more nutty about it… :flushed:

2 Likes

Thanks @k8tpayaso !
I have a hectic schedule so not inclined to join gardening forums but had to make an exception for this :slight_smile:

3 Likes

thanks for the kind note @Jenna1 ! It made my day :slight_smile:

i admittedly have the wildest assertions, coming up with the most outrageous ‘conspiracies’ in this forum when it comes to everything green that have to write a disclaimer each time lol! Btw, noticed you mentioned your doubts(quite gently and politely), and curious what it was that you might want to point out. Any critique is most welcome-- some people tend to get sore or insulted when critiqued, me being a student myself am actually happier scrutinized/ proven wrong than proven right :slight_smile:

anyway, which part of vegas does your mom live? Have broadcast jujus around this city, across america, and even across the atlantic and pacific, so tell me when your mom is ready :slight_smile:
and yes, we give them away for free. If you are not in a hurry hopefully you can wait until the spring after next . Would much prefer for your mother to have jujus on their own roots than as grafted on ‘hardy’ rootstock. Here in vegas, practically all of our named seed-grown jujus are hardy to soil and weather conditions. Keep us posted!

3 Likes

Your insights about the subject matter are so novel and thats reason why I could not fully agree. Your rationales are on-point by the way, so I am more in agreement. I actually bet you are right. Youve diversified my points of view which wouldnt have figured out for myself. I doubt if any of my professors and peers can give a more insightful perspective on tree senescence and rejuvenation.

And thanks for the offer to share trees with my mom! She is in her 70s so will ask her first. She lives in Summerlin at Sun City

1 Like

BTW, what do you think of somatic embryogenesis?

1 Like