Mature viewers only -- explicit Jujube videos/photos

We just posted our yearly “Tree-giving on T-giving” offer on our youtube video below. Just a way of boosting our youtube channel, and likewise an invitation to have random viewers join growingfruit :slight_smile:

as of now, have 3 self-rooted vegas booty clones still available on first come first served basis. If interested, pls post request there at comments section

3 Likes

forgot to say- even if we’ve already given you juju stuff before, you are still welcome to post a request there as long as you are one of the first ones to post
don’t even remember who i have given what, so it does not really matter. We merely want to hold the giveaways :slight_smile:

3 Likes

self-rooted chico bearing fruits on its second year. It tried doing so early this summer but i removed all flowers and fruitlets, which then surreptitiously cropped later in summer and recently ripened. As documented by the grocery flier-- one can can have fresh jujubes as late as thanksgiving here in vegas, and the fruits are better quality than those ripened in the heat of summer.

5 Likes

at these prices, one can’t afford not to grow jujus. More expensive than longans(despite shipping costs from the tropics) as shown, which clearly borders on stupid…

3 Likes

too lazy to find the debated thread, but here is sequential evidence that cambium contact is not as important as xylem flow when grafting. And that xylem flow continues for several months even when sapwood is severed and deliberately girdled. I used omega cut to prevent slippage, then secured the girdled graft with air-tight and durable sealing materials(parafilm first then glad wrap, then electric tape). Even produced a couple fruits.

4 Likes

~10 yr old HJ lateral. One of the oldest lateral stems have come across which continue to leaf out and bear fruits despite shady conditions. Laterals of wild-types are capable of this too, but practically all other named cultivars would have already regressed and died out at this age and circumstances

6 Likes

vegas honey, from hj seed(hopefully our documentation/layout of seedlings was accurate ).
pear-shaped like lang, but flavor, juiciness, and size are that of a fully ripened hj. Flesh is a bit more dense than hj, being more crunchy than the delicate crisp of hj. Also makes great dates. Not prone to splitting despite the pear-shape

4 Likes

vegas lucky proved itself able to multi-crop as shown below. Fruits have evolved more and more like its mother, bearing mid-size to large, round fruits instead of ovoid, and denser pulp and unmistakeable sihong flavor. Growth habit and foliage hue are similar as well. The only difference noticeable is that v. lucky starts producing rough bark at less than an inch diameter, whereas sihong will still be smooth at ~2 inches thick

4 Likes

the two(texas twister and tx honey)that produced fruits on year of grafting @k8tpayaso Thanks!
can’t give them an accurate assessment due to compromised status being so young. Have to say TX honey has some hints of HJ. Will definitely update with subsequent crops :slight_smile:
Uploading: texas twister.jpg…

6 Likes

Both of the above have improved with maturity at this location. Both in taste and size.

4 Likes

can’t wait for the grafts to get more seasoned and acclimatized :slight_smile:

vegas pasas. Named it too soon, as it is just as great eaten fresh as it is when dried.

It has a most pleasing tangy jujube flavor. We actually like this better than HJ’s
and since there are many who have the patience for small-fruited jujus, will add this to our small-fruited juju recommendation. As a youngster it also demonstrated ability to produce a substantial second crop in vegas’ conditions. HJ’s will produce plenty on first crop, but will usually just bear lightly on second crops even as old/seasoned grafts.
hopefully root cuttings exhibit high percentage of leafing out

6 Likes

sequence of hj cuttings being rooted. Had to try one more time as just recently noticed JFAE’s “self-rooted HJ” wasn’t the same as the HJ we obtained from Mr Meyer…

3 Likes

I have noticed that Mr Meyer HJ had smaller leaf than JFE. But both of the fruits tasted the same except Mr Meyer HJ fuits are a tad bigger.

3 Likes

Chico air-layer on its 3rd year, exhibiting sprawling tendency
Makes an attractive “dwarf” specimen due to its heavy production in potted condition

4 Likes

hmmm, maybe just a mistake on JFAE’s part, as the “HJ” we received from Jfae didn’t just produce smaller fruits than Roger’s hj’s, but the tiny fruits were a bit dry and did not have the delicate crisp as Roger’s

have to add that Rogers HJ also develops leaves that are of a darker hue, and are generally larger

4 Likes

I will post some photos of the two HJ leaf and fruits next September for comparison. Btw my 30 jujubes collection these day are mainly HJ 60%, and the rest are Black sea, Bok Jo, Orange Beauty, Sandia, So, Chico, Hetian Jade, LI ,Russian 2/Alcade.

3 Likes

Ok, thanks! Am really curious as to what Jfae sent us.
btw, great collection you have there! I see you like HJ’s the best :slight_smile:

1 Like

perhaps JFE HJ from own roots are grown from seeds rather than cutting that they rooted?

i think may have been a mistake on their part. Maybe just a random potted seedling or rootstock that ended up being mixed with stock of true HJ’s