Mehrabyan Nursery

After another email inquiry yesterday morning, my order shipped yesterday.
Couple trees, and some more roots for grafting.

Just figured Iā€™d give my 2 cents. I ordered 2 peaches and 4 apricots. Peaches were nice size, some of the apricot trees (including the roots) were huge. Nicely packaged, quickly shipped, good prices. Will see how they do once they leaf out but I donā€™t expect any problems.

2 Likes

Iā€™m happy ā€¦ got an apple potted, and half the rootstocks grafted. Balance planted in next 2 days hopefully.

I bought a plum from them last year and it was a high quality tree and it did great the first year. I think they are about the best deal out there now in terms of price for the quality you get.

3 Likes

Last year order.

Suncrisp apple

Kosui Asian pear

2023 order: Querina Florina apple on Bud 9, Sun Fuji on M7, Ilona on Myro

7 Likes

Anyone still having issues contacting Mehrabyan? Iā€™m guessing heā€™s just swamped with work - but havenā€™t heard anything back about a tree order. Been trying to get in touch for a couple weeks.

1 Like

Mine turned out OKā€¦but if not for a couple emails Iā€™m not sure if Iā€™d have gotten the promptness that I did.

My last apples are in bloomā€¦some early but not as much so as earlier in the year.

1 Like

My 2023 order - my first order from Mehrabyan. From left to right (iirc):

• Empress plum on Myrobalan
  • Rich May peach on Lovell
  • Dolgo crab on G41
  • Harrow Sweet on OHxF87
  • Williams Pride apple on M7
  • Black Pearl cherry on Krymsk6
  • Desiree peach on Lovell

Dolgo and Black pearl were already pushing strong pale buds. Roots were a bit drier than Iā€™d have liked. The root balls were all wrapped in a plastic bag, with a little (possibly incidental) dirt. Empress plum roots were enormous. Harrow Sweet, would have liked to have been better root mass, but it was way better than what Adams County sent me last year - which was just basically a 3" root knub, that died. So I still have higher hopes for this one. Overall seems pretty good.

7 Likes

Anyone want to chime in on last yearā€™s order survival/establishment rate?

Those pics above and good pricing is what made me jump on the train instead of the other established nurseries. This seasonā€™s 1st shipment is only a few weeks away and I have 3 trees in the pipeline. Will post pics and review when they arrived.

Not sure about this place. Ordered a couple of peaches in Jan 2024. Supposed to ship April 8. Got an email they were delayed. Have sent them 2 emails requesting new shipment date, no response. Might cancel order. Poor customer service.

2 Likes

I think it must be a smaller operation with limited staff. Iā€™ve ordered a couple of trees from them the last 2 years and they definitely ship later than I would like, but that could just be the conditions at their orchard. The trees themselves were very nice quality and they have a good selection.

They shipped about the same time as Grandpaā€™s Orchard which is also a little later than I would prefer for my area. But overall not a huge deal I guess. The trees all did well.

3 Likes

I ordered 10 m111 rootstocks from them back in February and asked for a ship date of 4/15.

They shipped the rootstocks on 4/15 and they arrived yesterday. Very nice looking with 1/4-3/8" caliper and a good amount of actual roots.

I would definitely order from them again

4 Likes

My friend ordered 20 trees from them, and i ordered 2. All look good. Claribel Quince was especially nice size.

3 Likes

I ordered mine to ship the first available week (March 4), but was delayed a week. They did send a mass email about the delay. They are a family operations of 3 people (dad, mom, daughter) so I understood that delays would be inevitable during peak bareroot season. Their prices are very good and quality of roots is on par with the previous reviews in this thread. Would recommend and order from them again.
Donut peach, White Lady peach, Korean Giant pear

11 Likes

Well here it is May 1st and still no trees. Temps are nearing 80F in Northern Arizona. These people never responded to my inquiries on shipping. Was supposed to ship on April 8, via UPS. Finally shipped on April 22. Then got messages about 2 more delays. Then on top of it, I find out that UPS is not delivering it, but transferring it to USPS. Another day or more. I hope the trees are still alive. 40 bucks for delivery, takes forever to ship, no response from sellers and now have to go to the PO.
I would certainly think long and hard before ordering from them again.

Update
Picked up the trees today. PO said delivered, but of course I had to stop by there two more times before they could locate them. Opened them up, and as I figured, the extra travel time in high temps caused them to start leafing out. The shavings were almost totally dry. Got them in the ground asap. Watered good. We will see.

My criticism of this nursery comes from my own experience as a retired nursery owner and landscape designer. Also 40 plus year as a master gardener. I have purchased lots and lots of plants, both as a nurseryman and consumer. Communication and customer service are the key to any successful business. If you get slammed, you hire extra people to get the product out. You donā€™t make excuses and you donā€™t take shortcuts. Had my trees been shipped when promised, I am certain they would have arrived in excellent condition. As is with them leafing out, the higher temps and near dry roots, all caused by delayed shipping, they may not make it.

I will say that the caliper and root mass of these trees is excellent.

I imagine that they are slammed because of their favorable prices.

2 Likes

I got my OHxF87 rootstocks in from them last week and they look great. Iā€™d definitely order from them again.

3 Likes

I have ordered from Mehrabyan Nursery in the past and have had great success with their nursery stock. If there is an issue with shipping sounds like they sent an email to people that have ordered.
That should be good enough for an explanation since they are a small family owned and ran business.
I much rather prefer ordering from small mom and pop type operations and run into an occasional snag here and there than dealing with a big nursery with constant excuses of this and that. I am still battling with one of the bigger nurseries on an issue from a few years back. I have given up with them. They have become too big to be efficient with customer service. So lesson learned.
As far as them shipping UPS and then USPS has taken over delivery, this happens more and more. So donā€™t get to worked up about that. I have paid more for delivery here recently.
Take a breath and just enjoy the trees when you get them planted. Things never seem to run smooth here in the last few years.

2 Likes