More muscadines

Cowart.

16 Likes

Hmmm. Nice. I’ve got a Cowart vine but this is the first year that it has fruited and it only had about a dozen of muscadines. Have you tried cooking any jelly or jam out of its juice?

2 Likes

This is my second year to get grapes from mine and they are loaded. I am planning on making some jelly and wine this year.

3 Likes

Late Fry.

10 Likes

How much space you need to grow muscadines?

2 Likes

Plants are recommended to be 20 feet apart. Check out Isons Nursery on Youtube for videos about growing Muscadines.

2 Likes

The minimum space to successfully grow muscadines is 225 square feet which is 15’ X 15’. Heavy yearly pruning is needed along with application of a good bit of fertilizer.

1 Like

Why does it take so much space? I honestly was hoping to grow just two varieties along a single wire in a wide T shape. I don’t need huge production because I’m only growing enough for 2-3 people.

Is there a backyard orchard culture approach to growing grapes? Maybe I should ask @Drew51

1 Like

I am growing two muscadine vines on one 24’ trellis and they are doing great. My total footprint is 24’ x 3.5’

They look happy.

3 Likes

Good to know, I found this video here where a u-pick uses 15’ spacing with seemingly good results:

2 Likes

They grow like crazy! I started cane pruning mine and find it easier to manage. Some this might not work? It has worked for me so far.

2 Likes

Most everyone I have talked to use the 20’ spacing but I’m not convinced that this spacing is best for everyone. All but one of my vines is spaced 20’ but one is 15’. I’m not concerned about the 15’ vine at all. If I get a little less fruit on it that’s okay. Muscadines tend to grow on whatever is provided and fruit but you probably will have a smaller crop.

2 Likes

I like the cane/spur pruning also. Makes life simpler dealing with the heavy annual growth.

2 Likes

Nice video. His 15’ spaced vines appear to be doing well. Nice bonus at about 5 minutes in is the electric wire to help with raccoon control.

1 Like

Muscadines are my favorite by far, mine are doing good this year but I have trouble if we have a cold year they will die back and start all over, or sometimes completely die from the cold. Usually go a few years before that happens though.

2 Likes

I know you didn’t ask but have you tried different varieties to see if some are more cold tolerant?

1 Like

Actually only by accident, since the ones I have now seem to be the most tolerant. They are the ones that have survived and I propagated from too.

2 Likes

I would have done exactly as you did.

1 Like

Do y’all mulch your muscadines vines? I’m having trouble with the crabgrass around mine.

2 Likes

I have three vines that has a strip of mulch about 3’ wide that goes 20’. The mulch is from grass clipping and leaves from the yard. I also have another one that doesn’t have mulch. Can’t tell much difference in growth but it is easier to manage the encroaching grass/crab grass.