Morels will be popping soon

I hunt several defunct apple orchards that have been good to me over the years. I theorize that mycelium was attached to the roots years ago when the trees were planted. I’m not aware of any research on the subject, but there seems to be a symbiotic relationship between morels and apple trees. I’ve thrown around the idea of growing out a bag of mycelium and placing it in the hole with an apple tree. Anyway, maybe you could plant an apple tree in the area of your ash tree? The mycelium should survive in the dead/dying root system for several years.

3 Likes

There will be an apple tree or two in the radius I’ve found morels. They’ll be planted next year, so maybe I’ll get lucky.

4 Likes

It took a while, but the incredible morel season has finally made it to NE Ohio/NW Pennsylvania. I spent many hours in the woods picking mushrooms. Between yesterday and today, I bagged 16+ lbs. It’s crazy, the last few times out, I could have stayed and found more, but I had to leave. I was picking all the way out of the woods.

I didn’t feel like dumping them out just for a photo. If I remember, I will tomorrow when I freeze them, but I’ll probably go back for more.:star_struck::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

That’s amazing!

2 Likes

@BeeDee
The colors of those morels says to me your in the heat of the season. Half grays (come first) and half blondes (come second)! Time to be outside every extra minute you have! Very nice!
@PatapscoMike
What a haul! Did the season improve or go out as fast as it came in?

1 Like

We had about a 3 week season, pretty normal for my area. We ended up with about 20 lbs of morels ourselves after splitting our take with a few friends who helped pick. A great year!

2 Likes

Wow, Mike, way to go! A morel season like this really gets you in shape for gardening. I guess it’s fair compensation for the cold spring.:+1:

1 Like

The rest of us observing appreciate the photos! You guys did very good. The most i have ever found in a season is around 10 pounds total. Thats an usually good season here. This season i was fortunate to find a dozen morels but my spots never completely fail me with even a limited amount of time. I know of better spots than mine but out of respect for friends i do not go to those often if at all. Love my friends and morels are a limited resource.

2 Likes

On the way into the woods…

I took this as a good omen.

On my way out of the woods…

It was a woodcock on it’s nest. It waited until I was 2 feet away before flying off. Needless to say, it made me jump.:blush:

I was happy with the haul.

These weren’t the biggest, but they were my favorite of the day.

:+1:

14 Likes

This time of year is as good as you get for hunting morels.

1 Like

Found a few today with my buddy.

7 Likes

Nice!

1 Like