Mulberries no work fruit

thanks for your input

I grafted a bunch of mulberries onto the Geraldi Dwarf this spring. I can report definitively that GD doesnā€™t dwarf the variety grafted on. While the GD is 5ā€™ tall after 5+ years, there are at least 3 grafts which have grown more than that this year.

Kokuso Graft- you can see the temflex tape near the bottom of the pic. It was hanging loosely on the graft and I knocked it off for the pic.

4 Likes

I was wondering about that and you answered the question. Now I wonder if it would reduce vigor after a few years. Iā€™d love to find a way to slow down Illinois Everbearing. After an early summer pruning it still grew an additional 8 ft. I donā€™t know if there are any slow growing quality mulberries that can handle 0 degrees.

2 Likes

I found this wild mulberry tree at the corner of my lot because the birds are going crazy over it. I went over to taste the fruits and I was supprized how sweet and tasty they were.

Tony

15 Likes

This past weekend, my kids and I put a drop cloth under our wild mulberry tree and shook the limbs. It rained mulberries!

Iā€™ve now got about a gallon or so of them in the fridge. This weekend I plan to make mulberry syrup!

6 Likes

Those of you who cook with your mulberries, how do you deal with the stems that stay on the fruit? I canā€™t imagine picking them off one by one.

2 Likes

We eat the stems right along with the fruit.

8 Likes

They look so much like a blackberryā€¦very nice for a wild tree.

Iā€™ve always thought of them as a weed treeā€¦they pop up in my yard every year and grow like a weed. There are some large mulberries not far from my houseā€¦iā€™ll have to go investigate the berry quality.

2 Likes

all this talk about mulberriesā€¦makes me think I need to add one to the collectionā€¦Donā€™t know that Iā€™ve seen them down here, seems like they woud wellā€¦

2 Likes

Jeremy I think you could grow the really nice Persian mulberries!

1 Like

yeah I was looking on the Just Fruit and Exotics site they carry quite a few varietiesā€¦I saw pakistan, but not Persian and they were pretty much sold out of everythingā€¦guess Iā€™ll wait until next yearā€¦

2 Likes

You might take a look at these descriptions https://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/mulberry.html

2 Likes

Has anybody else found mulberries extremely variable? Iā€™ll love a tree one year, but then be very unimpressed with it the next. I havenā€™t seen any consistency in any of the wilds one Iā€™m tracking so far.

1 Like

Yes. Rain at harvest is a huge factor. Dry weather equals sweet berries. Wet weather dillutes the taste.

3 Likes

That could be part of it, but I feel like my good and bad trees just keep swapping places. The white-fruited one that became my first mulberry graft 2 years back is producing fruit that isnā€™t even worth eating this time around. I was hoping to make a named variety out of that tree! Meanwhile, some trees that were poor producers last year are picking up the slack this time around.

Maybe in future years Iā€™ll be able to discern a pattern.

1 Like

Nice to not need to spray a tree to get a crop.

14 Likes

Clark, those mulbs youā€™ve got there LOOK as good as any mulb Iā€™ve ever tasted. Does their taste match their good looks?

4 Likes

They taste great!

3 Likes

Mulberries are already coloring up! These are not named varieties but rather just seedlings I grow and graft.

6 Likes

My Sweet Lavender graft grew about 6ā€™ last year and is loaded with fruit this year! Anybody have experience with this variety? Specifically, howā€™s the taste and are they early enough to avoid SWD?

2 Likes