Multi grafted Apricot tree

Here is my multi grafted apricot on a wild plum rootstock from Missouri Department of Conservation. The varieties are Orangered , Hesse, Tomcot, Robada, Afghan, and golden sweet. This wild plum rootstock is great, the tree is 8 years old and at 5 ft tall. No pruning necessary.

Tony

21 Likes

Very nice Tony. Since you have so many varieties of plums and apricots, I am interested in hearing which varieties you rank highest in taste and which you rank lowest?

1 Like

To me Flavor King pluot is the best because of the large fruit, real sweet, and had the fragrance to die for. Flavor Supreme is also near the top but a shy producer for quite a few of Us except for Fruitnut in his green house. Flavor Grenade is also great. Toka is really sweet and Juicy with somewhat of a bubble gum flavor. The rest of the European plums were newly grafted.
The Orangered is the best out of all those in my opinion. Btw, others may have a different opinions base on their taste buds.

1 Like

Thanks Tony. I really love to hear people’s opinions on flavor. I find way more consensus on flavor than I ever expected. Often Orangered tops people’s lists of favorite apricots. Same with your favorite pluots. The exception so far has been Flavor King. Many list it as their favorite, but the fragrance is a little too much for some. I have scions for Orangered and the pluots and am waiting for some better weather to graft. Can’t wait to try them!

1 Like

Tony,

I have information that apricot is 100% incompatible with Prunus americana which is the “wild plum” that Missouri Conservation sells. Bob Purvis told me this some time ago. Have you witnessed differently?

Dax

So far it is doing great for eight years now. This wild plum rootstock had a dwarfing grow affect and that was a good thing for me without having to prune my stone fruit trees. I saw that they sold out on this wild plum seedling this year already at 60 cents per seedling. The paw paw also sold out. Maybe the persimmon is also gone for the season.

Order Seedlings | Missouri Department of Conservation 7

Tony

1 Like

It is but check Kansas, Tony. I scoured the web and looked at every state nursery I could find and only Missouri and Kansas sell out of state:
http://kfs.mybigcommerce.com/bare-root-trees/

They’re a little more expensive but still inexpensive at 1$ per seedling. I bought 300 persimmon so I could have enough to graft at 3/16ths or more per their advice.

Dax

1 Like

Dax,. Don’t get carpal tunnel doing all those grafts again :tomato:

Tony

1 Like

Tony,
All those apricot grafts were grafted on this wild plum tree 8 years ago?

If these grafts are 8 years old, they shuold be considered compatible, right? My grafts usually show signs of incompatible after 2-3 years.

Yes. I am sure they are compatible by now. I will buy more of this wild plum seedlings next year to have several Orangered and Golden Sweet grafts to them.

Tony

1 Like

Thanks, Tony.

@Barkslip, I hope your are correct that Tony trees are prunus americana. Hopefully, by next year, I could graft apricots on my prunus americana, too.

1 Like

I asked them years ago, they are Prunus americana.

Dax

So, it looks like on Tony’s case, it works with apricots.

I’m going to graft apricots on them now. I’m also going to bench graft apricots on some I have from last year very soon.

Dax

3 Likes

anyone able to confirm Americana will work for Euro plums as well as Japanese?

I do wonder w the apricots if there is some variability in acceptance–I suspect prunus Americana covers a pretty broad genetic pool and it may be entirely possible Purvis tried and failed repeatedly, but with seedlings sourced out of a different state that were genetically unique enough for an incompatibility Tony is not experiencing…

Bob,
You can read this recent thread on my multi grafted plum tree on this wild plum seedling. I grafted the Flavor Supreme first then 3 years later that I added more pluots, Japanese plums, and Euro plums on top of the FS.

Tony

Tony, thats cool and no disrespect at all, you do some awesome work, but i did see that–in your case you had a pluot (flav supreme) interstem, if I read correctly. Which is also interesting, i wasn’t sure japanese and euro plums would play nice together, but i was wondering if anyone had experience w a direct graft of euro onto americana—anyone?

1 Like

I don’t think they would work together.
Iowa state Horticultural Society

Why don’t you try Krymsk 1? I have a few going and i’m liking it so far. Have a number of grafts on them. It is very dwarfing though.

my biggest reason is I can dig all the wild plum rootstock I like. The cheapskate in me has great difficulty paying $30 for a dozen rootstock, then $20+ to ship them…

that said I do have mariana or myro suckers coming up in my nursery bed as well…

What about grafting K1 onto your prunus americana…then grafting euro onto that?