Musa "Namwa" Banana

Yes, I was asking you… since you said it was a “wild” banana, that’s why I was curious.

when I say wild banana…I’m using the term loosely…they were actually once part of my landscape, previous owner planted them, but I dug them out and threw them into the wooded area behind my house…think it may be a raja puri, but I’m not positive.

1 Like

Namwa at night.

8 Likes

Here’s the progress on mine…

7 Likes

Yesterday I trimmed the “heart” (remainder of peduncle) off the Namwa bunch.

6 Likes

Only a few days until harvest …

8 Likes

8 Likes

Counting the bunch: there were 5 hands of 14 fingers, 1 of 12, and 3 among the 1st hand of males. We sampled one from the middle of the bunch today – about 4 inches long, 2 inches wide, 5 oz, and very delicious!

7 Likes

nice bunch Richard
i just got an “ice cream banana”
hopefully a namwa
possibly the tall one from what i have been reading
purchased through a re-seller who acquired plants in florida
it has closed petioles and is really green compared to some of my more blotchy stemmed varieties

2 Likes

Shouldn’t each entrant be sent a banana?

2 Likes

2 Likes

“I can’t believe you ate the whole thing.”

3 Likes

This is very cool. Thanks for sharing Richard! I like that the Namwa is a manageable size too. I attempted to grow a potted banana tree for a year or so, good lesson in failure. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Flag leaf on second stalk in our Namwa mat. An inflorescence will follow :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I have a couple questions for you Richard.

First, how do you know it’s a flag leaf? I see in the pictures(especially the last one) that it looks like a flag, but what makes it different than any other new leaf emerging?
Second, do you guys use lemon in your banana bread? I ask because there is a couple out with the ingredients.

1 Like

It’s called a flag leaf not for the shape but because it is an indicator. The short length is typical of the last leaf before an inflorescence.

Some fruit recipies utilize lemon zest for flavor or lemon juice as a preservative. I don’t use either in fruit breads.

3 Likes

never knew it was called a flag leaf…learn something new every day.

Need to snap some pictures of mine. I have another bunch forming…For some reason the bananas on this one look to be much larger then previously, maybe the time of the year.

Fingers crossed I’ll actually be able to get these to ripen.

2 Likes

Still not sure what variety these are…some sort of dwarf I’d imagine. Anyway, these are the furthest along, I’ve got another tree behind this one that’s producing as well…The bees seem to love the banana blossom…something I recently learned is that they’re edible…

12 Likes

Namwa stalk #2 with emerging fruit

5 Likes

27 lbs.

12 Likes