Muscadine summer trim

Do you cut your muscadine vines back at this time of the year to increase fruit size and to manage the cane size? I was reading from a website and they cut the canes back to about 30-36". My muscadine canes are sprawled all over the place and they would sure look better trimmed up.

https://petalsfromthepast.com/Garden%20Gossip/monthly_garden_gossip.html

Muscadines
The muscadines are now being ‘combed’. This term means separating the shoots for ease of harvest, otherwise the tendrils wrap around the vines and make it difficult to pick the fruit. Cut off excess growth. Leave about 30" to 36" in length. Cutting off the excess vines puts all the energy of the plant into increasing the size of the fruit. Keep watering well during dry periods

[quote=“Auburn, post:1, topic:6707”]
Cut off excess growth. Leave about 30" to 36" in length. Cutting off the excess vines puts all the energy of the plant into increasing the size of the fruit. [/quote]

I’d have to see some good research to go along with that line of thinking. Cutting off mature fully expanded leaves isn’t going to increase energy going to the fruit. It’s going to do the opposite.

OK so the thinking might be to cut off vines that are still growing to stop energy going into new canes. But if you cut back a growing plant it’s just going to increase it’s new growth to compensate for the lost foliage.

You could trim yours up if the foliage is in excess of that needed to support the fruit load. Cutting 10ft plus canes, if that’s what you have, back to 3ft seems excessive to me.

I’ve never heard or seen any such talk or management on bunch grapes, wine or table.

2 Likes

Wish I had read this earlier. I cut mine back enough to mow under the vines and now I wish I hadn’t.

You won’t be hurt if the remaining foliage is in balance with the crop load. I’ve not grown Muscadines. Just know that they are vigorous.

Those canes growing on the ground probably weren’t needed.

1 Like

My wire is about 5’ and the vines are all over the ground which makes it hard to mow under. I know typically you want enough leaves to mature the fruit which is why I asked. If I had more than one vine fruiting I would do a side by side comparison. I was hoping someone had already been there and done that. Thanks, Bill