Muscadines 2021

I still have some female varieties but the trend is toward planting mostly self fertile types. In general it appears that most years the self fertile ones produce more pounds of fruit.

1 Like

Auburn is correct. Self-fertile muscadines are the direction the industry is moving. They are definitely more productive and - given the breeding and selection effort being expended - rapidly catching up in fruit quality traits.

Ison is arguably the best overall pollinator I grow. It combines decent size with excellent fruit quality and high production. It has a weakness of overbearing which can cause a lot of problems. Prune it heavily in February, fertilize it very well at least twice a year and it will outperform most other self-fertile varieties. I don’t have enough information about the recent self-fertile releases to say how they will stack up in comparison with Ison. Paulk has the potential to exceed in some areas.

2 Likes

What kind is this?

1 Like

It is Hall. Everyone at my place loves them. Self fertile early ripening.

Triumph, Delicious, and Eudora are cold hardy. I grow them in Southeast Missouri, northern edge of zone 7. I also have Tara, Ison, Majesty, and a couple of others. My 2 Darlene vines died last winter (2020/2021) and did not send up a shoot from the ground. I’ve had several die to the ground and send up new trunks over the years.

2 Likes

Good information. This should help others in your area pick suitable varieties.

1 Like

Very cool! Where did you get your jugs and tops? How did it come out?

1 Like

Most of all my wine making supplies has come from Amazon.

1 Like

Can you pick muscadines in clusters? I carefully clipped off a few this morning. They have been washed and are ready to snack on. With this variety you can pick in clusters but I don’t see any advantage to doing it.

2 Likes

Muscadines always ripen a few at a time and never an entire ripe cluster. Don’t pick by cluster. Pick individual ripe grapes.

1 Like

Muscadine Tarte (Tart)
One for me and one for everyone else. The whole house smells yummy. Thanks @mrsg47.

4 Likes

I wish I could eat the seeds. I find them terribly bitter. Otherwise a ripe muscadine might be my favorite fruit.

1 Like

The bronze is seedless and I removed the seed from the Paulk.

1 Like

The seeds are bitter to me also.

Are they sweet? I always love seeing your pictures of this grape! I have never seen them in person.

1 Like

I recognize the filling. Boy I bet those are delicious! I can smell the butter and sugar from here! Beautiful!

1 Like

They are sweet when eaten fresh. When cooked they remind me of the taste of a pie type cherry.

2 Likes

Sorry, I meant to post this under Muscadines 2023 not 2021.

1 Like

It’s my fault. I asked a question on an older post and revived it.

Those pies look great! I have no muscadines but have ordered Big Red, Hall and Paulk from Ison’s. I hope I made good choices.

Could I use that recipe for other fruits for now? That is a prepared grahamcracker crust? Would you share the sugar/butter filling recipe and baking time?

1 Like

This is a link to the original post with the recipe. I will use a different crust next time.

Recipe for Mirabelle or plum tarte

1 Like