Recipe for Mirabelle or plum tarte

Gosh,quite a few requests. This is so simple but so amazing to taste. Essence of plums or fresh fruit of your choice (stone fruit) not apples or pears.

1. Use any pie crust you like. Preheat oven to 350.

Use either a tarte pan or shallow pie plate. 10 ‘’ is good.

1. Butter pie plate or tarte tin (the tins have a false bottom)

2. Place crust in the pie plate or tart pan, but do not yet trim the crust.

3. For the filling you will need

1/2 cup melted butter
1/2 cup sugar (the original recipe says 3/4 but I don’t like too much sugar, would rather taste the fruit.
1 teaspoon pure vanilla
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 egg yolks
2 Tablespoons all purpose flour

In a bowl, whisk this mixture until throughly yellow and thick. You will need a spatula to remove it from the bowl., It will looks like yellow, goopy, sugar.

Slice your plums in half and place face down on the pie crust.
Place the filling in the center of the tarte. (The heat in the oven will force it to spread so do not bother spreading it.

I place my tarte tin or pie place on a cookie sheet.

Place in the oven and check after 35 - forty minutes. Once the center look golden and shiny and the tart is bubbling it is done.

I am using a convection oven (unlike gas which can be a hotter or cooler oven). Hope it turns out well for you! Mrs. G. Great with fresh peaches too

15 Likes

Lovely! I wonder, Mrs. G., what you would think of a small grating of lemon zest, perhaps a tiny hint of nutmeg?

2 Likes

I would say yes to the lemon, but there is already cinnamon in it. Try it this way first. Even a good squeeze of lemon juice. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Great! I want to try this with red fleshed peaches. and also Nadia Cherry-plum hybrid. I have so many plums this year too. It’s been a fantastic year. I just harvested some Yukon Gold potatoes and they are huge! Usually not that big. I grew them in a container, filled half way, then as the plant grew I filled to top. So many are in that layer, wow! Any good potato recipes? I love that you can leave them in the soil till you need them, well harvest before winter. I pulled a few out for this week. I have probably over 100 potatoes in 6 pots, 30 gallon grow bags.

4 Likes

@mrsg47 do you think firm type plums work in your recipes? I picked bunch of satsuma which is kinda rubbery. I am wondering if they can be used in your tart?

Not really, the tarte is for euro plums like quetches, mirabelles, et royal epineuse or any reine claude.

1 Like

@Drew51 these two from my current favorite site… The first i’ve tried and the second i haven’t but sure looks promising for yukon gold potatoes:

Vegan Low-Fat Chili Cheese Fries - The Vegan 8

3 Likes

I made one today to bring to a friend’s house . It turns out well.
We all really love the crust. I used supermarket bought prune and added a small amount of chopped dry prune for texture.
After this first hand experiment, If I make another one I would like to add a little rum to the tarte which I think well go well with the plum flavor.
Thanks @mrsg47 for sharing this wonderful plum tarte recipes

3 Likes

Did it taste good??? It looks perfect! Rum always sounds good!

2 Likes

Yes, @mrsg47 it tastes very good. Flavor is perfect. But I probably used wrong prune. When the tarte is done the prune in the filling still not all soft. I am not sure it is what it is supposed to be the texture.

1 Like

Its supposed to be very soft , I think you under-baked it. The top is not golden brown.

I will make another one next time I am in store and see good European plums. I need to go to Italian or Mexicans grocery store where they have better selections of European plums. Our local big chain supermarket don’t carry a lot of European plum/prune, I bought only one type they have. Does certain European plum cultivar matter? Another word, are there European plums more suitable for tarte or baking?

1 Like

Yes. Any Mirabelle, quetch, Italian prune plum, French Agen prune plum,; any green gage, Reine Claude or Damson. Italian plums are in the market now. They are meant for cooking and have such rich flavor. :blush:

2 Likes

@mrsg47 with euro plums, should they be fully ripe for best flavor?

1 Like

Yes

2 Likes

Yes

No nutmeg , squeeze of half a lemon is great.

2 Likes

I have never used a convection oven. I have no idea how that part of the sentence got into my post .

1 Like

Automatic spelling/sentence completion is often like a contribution from a drunken elf.

3 Likes

Fabulous!