Muscadines 2021

You’re right about the vigor of Black Beauty. All your vines look healthy. If all goes as I think they will at this time next year that vine will be touching the ground by now.

1 Like

Unfortunately, it looks like all of my foliage above the blue-x shield died, leaves are crispy and dropped from the vine with minimal touch. Not sure what happened but the vine above the blue-x seems brittle/dead. Luckily, this is the Noble that I’m not as invested in, while the Nesbit that’s 25’ away seems to be doing just fine.

I guess it’s time to plan my Ison’s order. Thinking Black Beauty, Triumph, and Hall. Think this should cover my bases for bronze and black varieties and allow for a decently long harvest season.

1 Like

Hall has been a heavy producer for me and a family favorite.

3 Likes

Look for more releases of seedless muscadines in the future. I love my current muscadine options but this could open up marketing of crops to a large consumer base. I don’t have a problem with seeds but many people do. Apparently they have reached an agreement with Bloodworth to use their seedless muscadines in a breeding program to develop more seedless varieties. This is a copy/paste from the program.

Seedless Muscadines at U. Arkansas! • Other exciting traits within seedless hybrids! – Colors – Textures – Flavors – Much needed DIVERSITY

3 Likes

Do you ever wonder at what pace your young vines are growing down the wire. Yesterday morning I placed a clothespin at the start and this morning I placed a current location. I did this on two vines and the growth was similar at about one inch. Your mileage might differ but I’m pleased. I have in the past had vines grow considerably slower. Although I didn’t measure a vine growing straight upward to the wire I’m guessing the rate would be about two-three inches a day.

4 Likes

I finally broke down and took more serious measures to keep birds off my vines. Lost almost all fruit last year.

1 Like

Enjoyed the video. You went all out and the cover looks like it will get the job done.

1 Like

Supreme, Lane, and Black Beauty have set again, but Fry Seedless has been stubbornly un-productive. It flowers, but I haven’t seen any set so far. It’s been growing there for 8 years, so I’m starting to lose patience with it.

Black Beauty on the other hand is great- I just cleared out some conventional grapes from the trellis to give it more room. I may do the same (give it more space) with Lane, once it grows to that point.

Has Fry Seedless been productive for anyone here? Did it take longer than the other varieties?

Depends how far North you mean. On the border of 6/7 I’m able to ripen Supreme, Lane, and Black Beauty starting in late-September into October. I don’t think I was able to ripen Late Fry, but I’m not sure if that was only because it is so late or if the planting location (very shaded) was bad.

I planted Oh My this year on the border between 6 and 7.

3 Likes

I have several contacts with muscadine growers and none of them have reported good results on Fry Seedless. I was hoping it would do well. I finally got Oh My and the early but not well vetted results are better. It’s tough to invest that much time on a low producer. Glad to see your other varieties are doing well.

1 Like

Ugh- looks like I might need to cut most of the Fry Seedless out and just give the space to Supreme. I think I planted most grapes and muscadines too close (mostly 10’, though some are 5’), but I guess that just gives me a chance to figure out which ones should get the space…

1 Like

Fry seedless has problems with fruiting linked to pollination of the flowers. I don’t know of anyone who has been consistently successful growing it.

2 Likes

Oh My and first impression. I only have a few fruits this year and I want to evaluate the taste to help determine if and how many more vines I want to plant. While doing my morning walk through the orchard/vineyard with coffee in hand I spotted one fruit that appeared to be ripening. I probably should have waited a little longer but the temptation got the best of me. I gave it the light squeeze test and I felt a little give so I justified my action to pick it because I need to sample fruit quality at all phases of ripeness. Before I knew what happened it was in my hands and shortly afterward it was bit into half. I looked and there was no seed (passed the variety test). Taste was mildly sweet with no aftertaste. I was expecting more of the muscadine flavor. I have more netted and I should be able to get a better assessment on the taste a little later on. Overall, with only a very small sample, it was good.

3 Likes

Copy and pasted from the Ison website about Ison’s Fry Seedless.

We have found that fruit yields are somewhat erratic and some years will bear a huge crop and others much smaller

I picked my second Oh My today. The taste of it was similar to the first one. Sweet/mild but had just a slight tartness to the skin. After a small sample of two it reminds me more of a table grape than a muscadine. It had a thin skin and firm inside much like grapes from the markets. Oh My is still relatively new and I thought it would be good to get my opinions documented. If anyone else has experience please add comments.

2 Likes

Oh My 20210814. This is the third one that I have tested. It is also the largest 1 ⅛” high and 1” wide. I think the average will be about ¾-1”. Very good even though I think it should have stayed on the vine longer. Sweet with a hint of peel tartness. Notice that there was a very small remnant of what was the start of a seed. It was so small I almost overlooked it. No seed was observed in the first two samples. I will be adding more vines.

7 Likes

There are several seedless varieties now that I have been looking at. Are they slip skin like regular? How about the size comparison?

2 Likes

It is almost time to open the candy store.

7 Likes

There are three seedless muscadines that I’m aware of but there might be more. Fry Seedless, Razz, and Oh My. My experience is with Oh My only. The three fruits I ate did not have a slip skin.

2 Likes

I have a decent crop on Oh My. They don’t really have a true muscadine flavor but get close when they turn a darker color, almost orange. The skin on mine are thicker than other muscadines but do have a crunch and aren’t leathery like wild ones. It is not on the same level as Late Fry or Darlene but are good and the lack of seeds helps it. It is a grape you can easily eat whole.

6 Likes

They look great. Good to see they can produce a good crop.

1 Like