Muscadines 2021

Will the extra effort pay off with faster and more production?
For most scenarios it probably wasn’t worth it when these young vines can be purchased locally for about $12 each. The small vines are also easier to plant. For me I feel pretty good about the extra effort and time invested in moving a larger plant. Will I get more and faster production, I think so. My situation was that I had the time. Looks like I will see the results next year and the year afterward.

5 Likes

Just picked my first Isons this year!
I noticed that almost all the fruits had no seeds or just tiny fragments of seeds. Of course this is awesome but …. Why???
Normally there are seeds. :face_with_monocle:

2 Likes

My guess is that you had a low pollination rate. The more seed the bigger the fruit.

1 Like

Thanks! What causes the low pollination?
Ison is self fertile they say.

2 Likes

If you had a female it would be easier to come up with a list of possibilities. My Hall, which is also a perfect flower, didn’t fill up with seeds this year like it normally does. The fruit are still almost as big as normal. My weather was pretty good during this time so I’m not any help on what caused the pollination problem.

2 Likes

No prob! I’m loving the lack of seeds so no big deal.

1 Like

They look great and have interesting leaves. I also live near the Rhone, and the grapes grown here are incredible. I cannot understand why they would not grow muscadine grapes.i would love to try them!

2 Likes

I would have tried to dig up most everything. New homeowner would have got a yard full of holes. Normally I would have thought they would take a year or two off, but those seem to be recovering great.

1 Like

The muscadine vines are recovering well but I’ve had a lot of help with this being a wet year. Normally if a vine grows well the third year they start producing a heavy load of fruit. I’m guessing that the older transplants will start heavy production about one year earlier.

Picture I took a few days ago of my first year Nesbitt. Since this picture it’s probably grown ~4” in both directions. Really happy with this vine as I didn’t even fertilize in July.

The Nobel that was damaged, by what I’m guessing was herbicidal drift, has made a strong comeback and reach the top of its support and should begin growing laterally this week.

All in all, I’m fairly pleased with my first muscadine growing season.

3 Likes

It was enjoyable to watch the u-pick muscadine video. Hope you like it. Looked to me like a well kept vineyard. They appear to be using a two wire system and I think their plan was to get under the vine and pick which would explain why the wire was so high. Beautiful place but I don’t think I would want to reach so high for an extended period of time picking.

1 Like

In my opinion this is a really good video and it covers several items pertaining to growing muscadines. I see post asking about the qualities of different varieties and I only have a few that they reviewed. Hall at 24:46, and Lane at 24:48. If you have a higher ph soil you might want to consider Southern Home 22:54. I have grown all three of these and they are good but my grands and I prefer Hall with Lane being a close second.

2 Likes

This morning pick. This variety Hall is like no other and is the top for fresh taste with a sweet hint of pineapple and plum. My opinion on taste.

10 Likes

Wow sounds fabulous!
I’ve been picking lots of Ison lately. Decent but nothing special, at least this year.

2 Likes

I have space for another and was considering Hall. And then I spent the hot morning picking gallons of fruit and I kinda lost interest in planting anything else…… :flushed:

8 Likes

None of my 3 muscadines have been very productive this year, though the limited fruit I’ve gotten has very good size and flavor. All the rain we’ve had has resulted in tremendous vine growth, yet not affected the flavor. Black Beauty has had about 30% of what I’d hoped for, Supreme about 15%, and Late Fry about 20%. We had a late frost that could have been what hurt the productivity. Wasps and squirrels a significant problem, especially for the darker varieties. Late season spittle bug attack also a problem for the first time ever. I read several articles that say spittle bugs don’t usually cause significant damage to the fruit, but that hasn’t been the case for me. I’ve also had some berry rots this year, maybe because of the incredible rains, so I’ll probably spray some fungicides on my muscadines for for the first time next year.

Hall looks like an attractive option for me and I might replace Supreme with it. Supreme has been a consistent under-producer.

2 Likes

What is your opinion of Late Fry in terms of flavor and sweetness?
Just planted one last fall….

1 Like

you have two females and a late-producing self-fertile vine… maybe supreme just isn’t getting as good of fertilization as it needs. do you have room for a 4th vine? Hall would help with better fertilization.

3 Likes

My Supreme is a serious over producer but I have Triumph and Lane for pollinators and they are both early producers. I agree with @odin.9 that your problem may be with pollination.

2 Likes

@TrilobaTracker Late Fry tastes-like a good muscadine? Each variety tastes good to me, and each tastes different, but I have a lot of trouble finding the right adjectives to describe their differences. @odin.9 and @k8tpayaso thanks for the advice, I can probably squeeze in another one. Now to decide if it’s going to be Hall or something else…

3 Likes