Mutsu ripe

Only had one Mutsu fruit make it. Big and bold.

17 Likes

That’s one very lovely apple!

3 Likes

Wow!

1 Like

A great variety; they get big in Zambia too.

5 Likes

Great looking apple Auburn. I really like Mutsu apples. I do not think they would do well here in my area. Seeing your apple here makes me rethink putting a tree in my orchard now.

2 Likes

Over the last few years when I only had one or just a few new apple varieties I picked more at the wrong stage than the correct time. I finally got lucky. This one was awesome. I have tasted other Mutsu before and they were good but nothing in comparison to this one. Big and bold can now add awesome taste to it’s list.

6 Likes

I went ahead and picked up at nice looking Walmart Mutsu yesterday. What the hell…only $22. I like the description of the taste I have heard from others. Some licorice taste? Interesting.

I saw one at Lowes nearby for 1/2 off because some of the soil was missing from the container. 6-7 ft tree ~1.25" caliper for only $12.50. I was tempted, but I have no other apple trees, and no room to plant more. I guess I could always try to graft, but I don’t even have enough room for one more tree…(at least according to my wife of 20 years. Yes, she is the boss and knows it.).

1 Like

I also picked one up at wal-mart a few weeks ago. But it was just $14. Maybe it was a smaller tree. Seems I remember they had $14 and $22 dollar trees. The only difference I could see was the size of the pots. Trees themselves were all the same size.

My Walmart isn’t carrying trees now…I don’t think they ever have.

Ive got shizuka grafted to my trees and really like the apples, its doesnt alwasy mature here, but when it does its very good. I think this is a sister to mutsu if I remember correctly…

1 Like

Sounds good Rob. We both will be growing it in Tennessee so we can compare progress.

1 Like

Yeah. That’s why I understand as well. Sisters.

You could always sneak it into a park and keep an eye on it if you have no more space.

Congrats Bill. I know that joy when an apple finally reaches its potential. Here’s to many more of those experiences!

1 Like