My guava tree in SW Ohio

Hard to believe this was just the 4th summer outside, as the guava was just a slender sapling when I bought it in April 2018.

I had to do major pruning of the width to get it through the front door and up two flights of steps.

I have not had flowering, so no fruit yet.

Is it the age of a guava that determines when fruiting begins? I have no info on species, just know it is a pink guava, and the company was a Dutch one that just labeled the tropical trees with common names.

Susan

6 Likes

They usually fruit within their first year in the tropics. Very easy and carefree there. They seem to do ok even in Northern California with winter protection.

There might be a minimum heat component to growing these indoors.

It has spent every summer outside, and just came in last night. Our third floor is toasty because we have hot water radiators and it is a South facing window.

1 Like

The tree looks beautiful! I’ve no idea why it’s not fruiting yet. Maybe in a year or two.

Lovely tree! This makes me think that I also need a guava in my NE Ohio home…tree acquisition syndrome strikes again.

Thanks! What is amazing is how it just explodes with new growth when it gets moved outside. I was on a snorkeling trip to the uninhabited island of Culebrita, and our ride to and from the ferry, who is a US mainland native said that in the tropics there is no period of cold sterilizing, and that in the tropics everything is always growing, good and bad.

But yes, it really is a good looking tree.

I left one of my 2-year-old trees outside last fall (at that point more like 1 year old) to see how it would handle mild frost, and it turned really gorgeous colors by mid-November:

It did die back a bit before I finally let it into the greenhouse in December. This year I went ahead and moved it in early so it doesn’t get damaged again. It did not fruit this year either.

5 Likes

Good to know. With tropicals you just never know. My crotons came in 2 weeks prior after I read they really hate going below 50 F

1 Like

Nice. I would stop pruning and see if that helped with fruiting it does with citrus

I read somewhere that pruning time influences flowering/fruiting. So my fall pruning should result in an early flowering, as tropicals don’t have a cool season, and I am sitting in a tank top and shorts on the third floor, because heat rises.

I hope this isn’t threadjacking since I’m not in SW Ohio, but I decided to bring one of my two tropical guavas into the house a couple weeks ago, since the greenhouse has been pretty cold. It’s already starting to grow again. Nice colors again this year, too! Even if it never fruits, this is a worthy houseplant.

I left the other one in the greenhouse, and it still seems pretty dormant.

4 Likes

Very beautifull tree! Congratulations! :+1:

No flowers yet this year on either of my guavas. Here’s the larger one, which is probably ready to move up to a larger pot than this 8 gal:

2 Likes