My peach x almond clones

Has anyone grown Hall’s Hardy almond? What do the leaves look like? Do they resemble like my tree, or more almond-like?

Reliable Almond is another peach-almond hybrid.

How do you make sure that hybrid almonds don’t end up being poisonous like peach pits or wild almonds?

2 Likes

I would assume by not using bitter almonds in the cross. Can you even get them?
Not sure if true? But I heard that birds were seen eating bitter almonds one day and it turned out to be a sport that was safe, and all sweet almonds come from this original sport.
Wiki reports origins are unknown.

I have one in my yard , I will tak a photo of a leaf when I get home if I can, it is pretty tall and most of the leaves are up high ( the ones tha the jp Beatles left)

1 Like

Thanks.

I might get another possible hybrid this year. I will find out in a week or so.

Here’s the background of the possible hybrid: During the flowering season, I pollinated my proprietary Dwarf almond with Myrobalan plum, apricot pollen, and some flowers were open-pollinated. About thirty almonds were produced from these crosses. Out of the thirty almonds. Only six reached maturity, out of the six, only three produced viable seeds. Out of the three, only one survived cold stratification.

Not very good photos , sorry, the leaves are about gone and the ones that are left are at the very top. I was able to bend down one branch .

2 Likes

Here’s my Almond seedling. I think it’s too early to tell wether is going to produce a hybrid or just an almond.

Remind me in the spring and I could get you some better pics.

Have you tasted any Hall’s Hardy almonds?

The leaves look more more like a peach than an almond.

Yes I have eaten a few. To me they had a true almond flavor but it was as intense as a true almond. My tree makes some every year but I don’t always gather them. This year a red squirrel gathered them for me.

This is what peach x almond flower buds look like:

1 Like

The leaves are turning pretty!

I think is time to graft my peach x almond rooted cuttings? Or should let them grow another season?

I want to graft a Flavor Queen Pluot, and my proprietaty hybrids.

Now it’s time to transplant them into their individual pots.

Look at the root structure of one of my cuttings!

1 Like

I rooted more cuttings today. I have named this peach x almond rootstock " Luna."

2 Likes

Love the name!

2 Likes

I’m going to name her sister sibling, “Soleil,” French for Sun.