My "Romance series" cherries

Yeah not much choices, this is the best place to order the Canadian cherries. I also agree they may not work for you. I only have room for 4 hazelnut trees as other trees are going in too. I want this lot I’m using as a testing zone for my breeding attempts. I don’t expect to score big, it’s just for fun as I really like to breed plants. I have 2 raspberry cultivars I developed for fun, now moving on to stone fruit, well peaches and pluots for now. I want to breed other stuff done the road too.

1 Like

I ordered 10 Juliets myself @Drew51 and I suspect that $180 will be well spent. My row of carmine Jewell have done fantastic here is zone 6a. Honeyberryusa is definitely a great way to go when you want a larger quantity.

2 Likes

I may check back with you in the spring. I have a low spot (cooler) that I want to try them in.

TFN

mine has full sun until 1pm then dappled shade and is growing well in a log raised bed i made for it. right next to my arctic hardy kiwis.

Ok, now you need to have a cherry fest every year! Yeah it should be great and good harvests, let us know in the future.

2 Likes

It’s taken me a long time to commit to a row of Juliet but I’m glad I did it finally. My row of carmine Jewell have been wonderful Carmine Jewell Cherry Yields increasing with age . This thread shows carmine Jewell in flower The prolific Carmine Jewell cherries. Many people rate Juliet as more productive than carmine Jewell!

2 Likes

Yes! How about the others? I may add one more

1 Like

I’ve got 5 juliet cuttings rooted and growing in my closet. they are getting some kind of fungus on the leaves tho…

1 Like

I would spray them with copper.

safe to use indoors? what spray name?

No kocide 3000 is outdoor use only I thought you were using a greenhouse for some of your plants. Figured you could open it up and spray and close it off when temps dropped again. I’m not sure if you could take them out and spray them on a warm day and bring them in later but I would check the msds sheet for that. Tomorrow will hit nearly 50 degrees here but today was 8 degrees. Kansas has wide fluctuations in temperatures.

Maybe you could spray a fine light mist of all season horticultural oil on them with a spray bottle, then sprinkle lightly with a copper Bordeaux powder. Just an idea off the top of my head, but do more research to make sure it’s ok. For instance, all season horticultural oil is supposed to be safe for green growth, but what you have there might be considered extra sensitive since it is so young.

1 Like

I have never found anything that comes close to Montmorency for flavor and production here on wet side PNW.
John S
PDX OR

1 Like

Yes, a very good all around cherry and agree still the king. Here though I would rather have the bush cherries. Easier to protect, a rich dark color inside and out. And I like the taste. Still I also bought a lot that has a Montmorency already on it. So in the future I can compare directly. Glad to have both. Many neighbors have it so I have tried it many times. Productivity is not a problem with the bush cherries here. They produce really well. . It’s great for those in zone 2 and 3 who have limited options on any fruit. Honeyberries has changed that too, I’m in 5b and we do get cold enough some years to kill most fruit buds, but not the bush cherries. I lost all stone fruit in 2016 except bush cherries. Not much worry about late spring freezes either. They both have their place.

4 Likes

I agree Drew. If I lived in a really cold place like Michigan, Alberta, Saskatchewan,
that has a much drier spring than we do, I would definitely grow a lot of bush cherries. I like them, but they hate growing here in our wet, warm springs. Disease city.
John S
PDX OR

1 Like

i have one in 2nd leaf here. how old are they before they start to fruit? got mine for $7 at tractor supply. was in pretty bad shape so i cut off some of the wood after planting and the 2nd year it sent out about 30in. of new growth.

I just bought two Wowza’s and a Juliet. One Wowza is for me and the others are a birthday gift to my sister. They came to $145 after shipping and tax from Gurneys. Ouch! Lol! I used the $100 off of $209 dollar purchase coupon.

2 Likes

I had that same thing happen to me last year growing the currant cuttings Drew gave me. You look like you have spider mites though. soap water might help that, or spinosad is what I used. I had a fungus that killed them in just days. My mites were on my house plant. I filled a spray bottle and set it to a fine mist. Look at it with a magnifying glass. All those crystal looking things are probably spider mites. Looks like I see a few adults. They are the big dots. They suck the life out of the plants! A fan in your grow area will help with that too. It blows them off. That’s why you don’t get them outside because of the wind.

2 Likes

Yes cuttings can be a bitch. I started soaking mine in a kocide solution at dormant spray strength for a few minutes before I store to prevent mold. My problem was mold on stored cuttings. With currants I just plant outside in the fall or spring. Mostly because I have other stuff taking up the inside, and currants grow like weeds.
The Juliet cuttings are bad, If spider mites they are a pain. They attack my cacti every year when inside, but the cacti can tolerate them easily. I sometimes don’t even treat them.
I’m not sure what that is, I can say it doesn’t look good for those cuttings!

2 Likes

I’m not sure about his cuttings either. It looks like what I saw on my plant. I would like to see it blown up or with a magnifying glass. I think mites are a lot easier to treat though. If that’s what he has. I think the cuttings will recover from that but who knows. I didn’t say anything about the cuttings dying that I was growing last winter Drew because I felt bad that I killed them. They did so well at first. I should have just waited and stuck them in the ground like you said.