My "Romance series" cherries

Thank you, Jerry. Dr. Bors’s suggestion is similar to the KGBtraining system. It makes sense. Will keep this in mind.

I put a Monty cherry bud on one of my CP leaders yesterday. That way if CP doesn’t produce it will have something that does, and if it does so be it.

4 Likes

I confess to barely understanding grafting but would love a pic of that!!

1 Like

My first crop on CJ . Really loaded . It has bloomed very lightly last 2 years but never held them . Guess it is ready to hold a crop now .

8 Likes

Now it will have Montmorency cherry growing on the bush too.

4 Likes

I decided to replace Crimson Passion(cannot afford unreliable producer in my small yard) with Juliet. So in order not to loose one more season I ordered Juliet now. Plan was to plant it in a pot, and in late fall transplant Crimson Passion to my neighbor yard and plant Juliet on its place. When I received my first two bushes from Honeyberry USA 5 years ago they were tiny, in 4 inch pots. So when I read that Juliet will be 2-3 feet tall, I was pleased. I received it today. What I didn’t realized is that it will be 3 feet tall pruned! Unpruned I suspect the monster was 5-6 feet tall. The roots are thumb thick. It didn’t fit ANY pots available, including large tub from HD. I had to make in-ground pot for it, luckily my tiny apple didn’t grow big roots yet and I was able temporary fit Juliet next to it.

9 Likes

I got a chance to look at my remote nursery location today in my dad’s garden.

I am really surprised to see that my Romeo USask cherry bloomed this year. It is only it’s 2nd leaf for me.

Romeo in the foreground and white gold in the background.

5 Likes

Juliet grows like a beast. Mine is very vigorous. I planted it with CJ last spring and they were the same size. Juliet is now twice the size of CJ.

4 Likes

@Levers101 My Romeo was twig when I bought it from HBU. It is flowering in it’s third year right now after Juliet and CJ. It’s Only about 28" tall.
@speedster1 My juliet’s from HF Had trunks twice the caliber of any of my two year old bushes from HBU. They are in their second year and growing well also. One is about five foot tall and the other is about 42". The smaller one is loaded with cherries but the flowers are still falling off so who knows how those will do. The stems are still dark green so They look good as do my other bushes that flowered.

3 Likes

just received and planted a carmine jewel and juliet from HBU. both about 3ft with nice roots. put them in mounds in my yard. hopefully this way they will fare better than my apples i planted in my clay rocky soil. they were just staring to leaf out. now a 2 yrs wait!

2 Likes

I have a bonus sucker plant from the Juliet I just planted last year. These Juliet’s sure are vigorous! These are the two I planted last spring. One is over five foot tall already.

The bigger bush in the back in the first picture is the one that suckered.

4 Likes

i have 2 juliets and a carmine jewel i put in this spring. all are growing nicely. all 3 from honeyberry usa were 3ft tall when i got them. hopefully i get some cherries to taste in a couple years! i wouldn’t mine a few suckers. :wink:

1 Like

Ya I don’t mind a few suckers either. They usually don’t sucker till they are a few years older from what I’ve read. I was very surprised to find it. I would like to give a bunch to my sister. My oldest bushes are on their third year. I bought three CJ, one Juliet, one CP, and one Romeo from HBUSA. They are smaller than the two Juliets I bought last year from HF. I see they have options now to get bigger bushes. This sucker is not much smaller than the bushes I bought three years ago.

who is HF?

Henry Fields

I see you have your cherry bushes in cages too, just like I do. Last year after my Juliet grew over the top of the cage, a deer still browsed on it :angry:. This year it’s over 4ft tall and sending most of its new shoots off the base. I hope I get some suckers off of it like yours has. Maybe next year.

It didn’t bloom this year, but the little two foot tall Romeo next to it did, but didn’t set any fruit.

A moment of silence for my poor little Crimson Passion plant, it didn’t make it through the winter…

2 Likes

Well if one had to die that would be the best one to lose. I mean only because they are hard to get to set fruit.

Yeah, I know not everything that gets planted will thrive, so while I’m disappointed, I hope the other two do well.

It also looks like a couple of raspberries I planted a couple months ago might have croaked, but the other 8 are doing OK to great. And my blackberries that were planted about the same time have really taken off. And my three newly planted pluots are putting on some nice growth too.

So, a pretty good year so far for the new plantings.

2 Likes

I have a few cherries on both my romeo and juliet bushes this year, excited to try them, if I can grow them to maturity…

1 Like

The same here Darek plus a few on CJ.

2 Likes