My small fruit tree orchard

Jujubes sprouting

2 Likes

Regarding Azores blueberry this is what i read:

Hardy in most places throughout the UK even in severe winters. May not withstand open/exposed sites or central/northern locations. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -15°C (5°F)

That’s plenty hardy enough for me. Are they good to grow from seed?

1 Like

I really don’t know… i buyed a plant.

I just recently learned about sete capote, and they are not well known at all in the United States. How do you rate the fruit? Is it as good as a feijoa or true guava? If the fruit is good enough to be worth growing I think it could really catch on here in the Mediterranean climates along the US Pacific States. The fact that we don’t typically get really severe cold snaps might make it feasible even as far north as southern British Columbia.

Does it propagate easily from cuttings? Or is starting a seedling the best way to go?

You have a phenomenal collection of plants. How many acres do you have? Do you allow it as a community resource?

1 Like

Thanks! Sete capotes is an endangered species in Brazil and is now getting propagated. It can be grown by seed and root cuttings. This variety is interesting because it doesn’t loose leaves and the flowers are very pretty. It is very different from guava and feijoa. The fruit is hairy, you can bite the skin and suck the pulp. The flavor is refreshing and resembles pinapple. A bit sweet and not acidic.

Thanks a lot for your kind words. I just have 3500 square meters with my house there too. I’m almost exausting the few places i still have to plant trees… this is looking like a joungle… well my trees are a bit young so it’s just for family consumption but one day i want to live from it, eat, selling fruits and scions.

3 Likes

That is .86 acre, so nearly an acre. You’ve done well with the space you have. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well i’m not so sure of that in few years… too much things but i just can’t resist! :rofl:

1 Like

Ok you’ve convinced me, so I ordered seeds from Marcos :joy:

2 Likes

We have very similar circumstances. Our lot size is similar and the climate between Fatima and Philo, California is nearly identical, same temps, precipitation and extremes. I would say the only difference is Fatima has slightly cloudier weather. Annual sunshine in that area of Portugal is 2500 hours, which is more similar to western Oregon than inland Mendocino County.

I know what you mean about running out of room. I have so many more trees that need planting and already space is at a premium. I have to make some hard decisions soon. Though I’m also going to embrace espalier for most of my future specimens.

1 Like

Tamarillos

7 Likes

Happy Easter to everyone!

3 Likes

A gift… Achachairu fruit.

:yum:

3 Likes

I have a seedling that is really struggling, really hope to try the fruit one day one way or another.

1 Like

The fruit have a great flavor! :yum:

Lady Williams apple

Flavor Gem pluot

7 Likes

Pleione orchid

3 Likes

2 Likes

Cherries

2 Likes

Pawpaw trees

6 Likes