My small fruit tree orchard

Hi! I have some ugni varieties more further along than others…

1 Like

What I like to do for tomatillo storage is roast them whole in a pan until the skin cracks and browns, then puree them. They then go into freezer bags, but I don’t fill them full. I want to be able to lay them on their side and end up with something reasonably flat. I put them in the freezer on their sides and then I can arrange them like books on a shelf once they’re frozen. When you need to use them, you just break what you need off and pull it from the bag. I’ll try to remember to get a picture of my remaining stash from last year when I get home.

Edit:
here’s an article about this freezer storage approach:

4 Likes

I just got:

Calville Blanc apple tree
Soft Seed 6 pomegranate
Kaffir lime

1 Like

That’s great! If i have many tomatillos i will do it! :+1:

1 Like

I suspect you will! I usually just let a few volunteer tomatillo plants grow every year, and even with the shorter season I end up with loads of fruits from just a few neglected plants.

2 Likes

I don’t know why people don’t know them here… they are very easy to grow!

2 Likes

Yeah, they don’t seem to have made the same globe-trotting culinary breakthrough that tomatoes did. They’re almost too easy. Can become a weed pretty easily. A couple of overlooked fruits left on the ground can make a real mess of a carrot patch if grown in that spot next year.

1 Like

At least is a great useful weed… :grin:

1 Like

I just got one Ghost apple tree! :heart_eyes:

15 Likes

How does it taste? Spooky?

1 Like

Lol! Yes it looks strange… she is described as “Completely white skin and flesh with sweet, sub-acid flavor, a taste pleaser at several fruit tastings”.

3 Likes

I think those 2 photos aren’t for ghost apple, they should be for a different variety. Ghost apples in the US have a yellower color when fully ripe.

1 Like

This are the photos used by the seller. The other variety that he sells, the “white cloud” is a bit more yellow…
The one you are talking about is not the yellow transparent? This is another one and is white skin and flesh…

1 Like

:grin:

Guabiju flowering for the first time

Small bacon avocados

Chandler pomelo

Hirado Buntan flowers and fruits

8 Likes

First Tulameen raspberries

Soo good and big! :yum:

8 Likes

Cock’s Eggs or Pampas Lily of the Valley (Salpichroa Origanifolia)

6 Likes

And today i just got my Mott’s Pink apple… :blush:

7 Likes

I just got another two new redflesh apple varieties: :crazy_face:

Scarlet Surprise

Rosette

7 Likes

Marvelous big tulameen raspberries… :yum:

11 Likes

Linden tree and flowers… So wonderful perfume! :sunglasses:

7 Likes