Myer's Royal Limbertwig

What is your best tasting Limbertwig (sweet with the distinct Limbertwig taste}?

1 Like

At the risk of repeating myself :slight_smile: Myers Royal followed by Red Royal lights up my taste buds . Kentucky, Swiss, Black and Victoria are all fine tasting Limbertwigs. I remember Podpiper telling me his Ben Lomand was a great tasting apple. I’ll have to wait a few more years to try my own. Also waiting for my Royal Limbertwig to fruit. My Brushy Mt. has been bland but maybe this year they will be better. :slight_smile: The cicadas were brutal on my orchards this year. I went from a banner year to a slim pickings year. :frowning:

2 Likes

Sorry to hear about your horrible fruit year because of the cicadas. I have a Myers Royal growing and it is still too young to fruit. Probably will fruit the next couple of years. I am looking forward to tasting this Myers Royal Limbertwig apple.

1 Like

That’s my situation, too. When I’ve searched online, multiple sources have lifted the line from Big Horse Creek that it has “true Limbertwig flavor.” But this is the first year our Kentucky Limbertwig has born fruit, and I’ve never ever tasted any limbertwig before. These KLs are sweet with a pleasant, faint musky-ness. Is that the true Limbertwig flavor?

I obtained Kentucky Limbertwig because of good reviews and because I was born in Kentucky, but I feared in New York State they might not have enough time to ripen. But I picked its apples this first year before I picked a few NYS old standards, like Baldwin and Golden Russet.

4 Likes

My Kentucky Limbertwig definitely improved in taste after it’s first year cropping. Describing taste can be so subjective, but it is sweeter than other Limbertwigs I’ve tasted. Cicadas devastated my orchards this year and only had a couple of Kentucky’s to pick, but I rate it a good apple to grow and encourage people to try it.

6 Likes

The Brushy Mountains are entirely in North Carolina (near me.) They biggest apple growing area in North Carolina by far is the Hendersonville area, but I think the Brushy Mountains are #2 in the state.

1 Like

Sorry to hear about your cicada mess. Those things ruin so much. I wish the birds ate more of them. They must taste horrible to the birds.

1 Like

Correct. There is a Brushy Mt. Tenn. but the apple did originate by Brushy Mt. North Carolina.

2 Likes

I’ve heard about Brushy Mountain, Tennessee in connection with an ultra-marathon that has an interesting story:

1 Like

I wouldn’t call KYLT the “true limbertwig flavor”. It is more honeyed, less acid/bite than other limbertwigs I have tried.

The main thing I like about it is it is bulletproof, and it is precocious and productive.

4 Likes

Here in Blight Central a healthy 10 year old Kentucky Limbertwig, full sun, pruned for good air/light, on G 30 (my benchgraft for a friend’s farm 2010) over last two years died lock, stock and barrel from fireblight starting down low in the trunk. Surrounding trees unaffected: Black Limbertwig; Keener Seedling; Caney Fork Limbertwig; Paducah.

The mystery of blight resistance keeps getting deeper and deeper.

I was uncertain whether or not to obtain scionwood for Kentucky Limbertwig since we live in NYS, but your comments in your “apple variety experiences through 2018” convinced me to try. It also helped that you listed it as much more earlier ripening than I’d seen elsewhere.

1 Like

How’s your Paducah apple been for you in terms of flavor and insect resistance? Seems like a neat apple.

Steve

1 Like

My experience with low strikes like that is there was always a culprit low waterspout that was the source of the infestation and death. So I blamed the death on the waterspout, not the variety.

3 Likes

Paducah is as close to bulletproof as I know. But the taste here is muted, nothing to write home about, a September apple.

3 Likes

This may have been the tree where I left a scaffold limb so low that I could not see the blight canker on the underside of the scaffold right where it meets the trunk. Usually I cut those out every winter, but I missed it. Lesson: keep scaffolds high enough that you can easily see the under-side all the way to the trunk.

2 Likes

Agree. A commercial orchardist friend in Colorado advises to prune off or rip off all small growth on the trunk and on the first foot or so of the major scaffolds. A blight strike there can be hard to control.

3 Likes

Does anyone have experience with Royal Limbertwig in an extremely hot climate, like central Texas?

1 Like

Myers’ Royal Limbertwig. @greyphase

What is the range of time you guys pick these? I’m in zone6b northeast PA. I have a single, gorgeous, Myers’ Royal Limbertwig apple hanging on my tree… the first I’ve gotten this far along. When do I pick it?! Put it in the fridge after picking? Or eat it fresh? I’m terrified the squirrels will get it before I do; I’m amazed they haven’t snatched it yet. It’s huge!

2 Likes

Hey Matt, Late Sept early Oct seems to be the right time for me to pick and eat my Myers Royal. Also in zone 6B

2 Likes