Nadia Sweet cherry x plum hybrid

Oh, my goodness. That is the opposite experience I have with my Sweet Treat pluerries. They are very precocious. I had to do some very serious summer pruning last year, which was a smart thing. They are more in control this year, and I will still be doing summer pruning to bring them back down. They have really big trunks, too. This is their second season, and they look like they’ve been in the ground for 5 years. Finally got some fruit this year on both of them, as well as the Burgundy plum, and both bloomed at the same time. I planted my Nadia very late, so it is still establishing.

They have the vigor similar to a Stella cherry, but they are more drought tolerant than its parents. They are suceptible to aphids.

I have mixed reviews on my sweet treats, the one that is growing in the ground is growing very poorly, it hasn’t fruited yet. The potted one is growing super fast, but it is very suceptible to aphids. The good news is that it is loaded with fruit. I already tasteda few, they were not fully ripe yet, but they taste like a plum, then cherry, and finally a unique flavor dominates the fruit.

1 Like

Sweet treat plueeries:

3 Likes

Pluerry number two:

Let us know how those Sweet Treats taste! I am thinking of pulling mine as it was a dud last year and set very few fruits this year (plus its a black knot magnet like I have never seen). My tree is ridiculously vigorous. It is also part Nadia now as my Nadia is completely dead and I had to graft it on to the Sweet Treat next door.

1 Like

curious about the new pluerry for next year ‘Candy Heart’, looks like an improvement from what I can tell (red flesh). I too and interested in reading a few tasting reports.

Candy Heart DW pdf

1 Like

On Garden web somebody posted a photo of Nadia from Korea that show the parent tree fruits, and the hybrid fruit. Here it is.

science man, it’s pretty wacky.

1 Like

Those Sweet Treat sound really good. I hope mine acclimates and finds happiness in my little orchard.

It sounds like Nadia should be OK here. I have a location picked out.

I wonder if some of the Zaiger interspecifics are so specific and well adapted for their California climate origins (is it Southern California?) that it’s hit or miss in other places. I hoped my Cotton Candy aprium would get some plum hardiness, but it did like all other apricots here, it bloomed - got frosted - died. I hoped my tri-lite peach plum would benefit from plum genes and be less likely to have leaf curl. Instead, it was more susceptible than my pure peaches, and died of peach leaf curl. And Zaiger genetic dwarf peaches are the most susceptible to curl disease, of any peach I’ve grown - other than Trilite.

Since Sweet Treat contains some peach and some apricot, I hope it doesn’t get peach leaf curl, or do the apricot Bloom - frost - death dance, but only time will tell. It is my experiment.

That’s why I have interest in Nadia. It’s no peach, no apricot, non -Zaiger, although it is Australian, so who knows how it will like my maritime NW conditions. Sweet cherries and Asian plums usually do great here, so maybe Nadia will find happiness here too.

1 Like

Here’s my Nadia from about a week ago. It seems to be gaining a bit of traction and is putting on some growth.

Being close to the driveway means that it gets more sun and has room to expand. It also means that it is closer to any number of mishaps. In this case, the wood-chip delivery missed covering it by inches.

Is the Nadia on the left side? Thanks, Bill

Beautiful fruit. Hope yours do well.

Yes, seems darker than both parents.

1 Like

Thank you

Wow that sure looks delicious! If that tastes like a cherry that would be amazing. Where did you get them? I know you are saying Rain Tree nursery but I don’t see them there unless they only show them in the winter for sale. They do show a picture of them but no price or ordering information. If anyone has any scion wood next winter I would be interested in some.

Only Raintree had it. Bare root season is over. They will list for 2016 this fall.

http://www.google.com/patents/US20090044301

Looks like you will have to wait until 2027.

Oh I get it now. They aren’t able to dig any dormant trees up because they aren’t dormant. lol! My brain isn’t working to good all the time anymore. I have trouble writing too. I always skip letters and have to back up and put them in. I’ll check back in the Fall. How much were they asking for these trees?
@AJfromElmiraNY You are right I shouldn’t be asking for scions.

It’s not the season for scion either, also the tree is patented, so many won’t trade or give out. Some nurseries offer potted trees. In this case I think a wholesale nursery is actually growing the tree, and Raintree is just passing it along.

I know it’s not scion season that’s why I said next winter. I’ve been scanning the web looking to see who’s selling the trees but I haven’t found anyone yet. Like you say if they are selling bare root trees I will have to wait. I’ve never bought a tree by mail so it didn’t really dawn on me that they were bare root trees.