Nadia Sweet cherry x plum hybrid

Yes! my opinion as a buyer, you have right to know what the Pollinator is

2 Likes

That’s kinda the point of patents, to keep something protected without having to keep any secrets.

It shouldn’t. Ploidy levels of sweet cherries (or J. plums), are different than tart cherries. This inspired this winter’s conversation of chemically changing ploidy levels.

Drew, it is possible to receive hybrids between sweet cherries and sour cherries, there are many of them available in Europe, they are called dukes. Almaden and Danube cherries are supposed to be dukes.

The branches will be pretty well “set” into their new position after one seasons growth. The new wood forms in the new shape. That counteracts the shape of the old wood.

Yes, but you have to change the ploidy level. Which is very possible, and I’m sure what was done to achieve the hybrids. I was thinking of buying the stuff myself and doing it. I talked about this, this winter. We talked about it here.

1 Like

I vote yes.

I’m not sure I can trust what Raintree tells me. Their customer service is horrriiiiibbbblllle. :confounded:

2 Likes

Is this the company you are referring to?
Brant Fruit Tree

1 Like

Yes.

I just sent them an email about a minute ago. Hopefully, they will reply to my email shortly.

1 Like

Have you thought about training the branches to give the tree a better form?

1 Like

I’ve always had great luck calling raintree.

I’ll probably train my other two Nadias. Raintree will them on April 11th.

I’d say “variable” rather than horrible.

I have never called raintree but every tree that failed they replaced. So I have no complaints.
I emailed them about it. I wanted it in writing with a time stamp. Same with Grandpa’s.

I think they are trying to sell the company

This is the email I received two hours ago:

Kevin Brandt kevin@brandtsfruittrees.com
To seattlesoapcompany@yahoo.com
CC cindy@brandtsfruittrees.com Today at 12:54 PM
Good afternoon Naomi,

Branchberry™ Nadia cv. will not be pollinized by a cherry. Rather, the variety does require a plum for pollinization. Allelic analysis performed in France shows the following varieties to be compatible with the Nadia cv.:

· Fortune
· Black Amber
· Anne Gold cv.
· Aphrodite cv.

Black Amber and Fortune are both open varieties and can be grown by any nursery / individual. I currently know that Van Well Nursery located in East Wenatchee sells Black Amber plum.

In regards to your to your Van cherry tree, it will not be pollinized by the Nadia cv. tree. You will need another cherry tree to pollinize it.

Pollinizers for the Van variety are:

· Stella
· Rainier
· Burlat
· Bing

I hope that this helps answer your questions.

Have a good day and enjoy the fruit from your Branchberry™ Nadia cv. tree.

Sincerely,

Kevin Brandt
Brandt’s Fruit Trees
Cell: 509-961-5820

3 Likes

Kevin Brandt kevin@brandtsfruittrees.com
To seattlesoapcompany@yahoo.com
CC cindy@brandtsfruittrees.com Today at 12:54 PM
Good afternoon Naomi,

Branchberry™ Nadia cv. will not be pollinized by a cherry. Rather, the variety does require a plum for pollinization. Allelic analysis performed in France shows the following varieties to be compatible with the Nadia cv.:

· Fortune
· Black Amber
· Anne Gold cv.
· Aphrodite cv.

Black Amber and Fortune are both open varieties and can be grown by any nursery / individual. I currently know that Van Well Nursery located in East Wenatchee sells Black Amber plum.

In regards to your to your Van cherry tree, it will not be pollinized by the Nadia cv. tree. You will need another cherry tree to pollinize it.

Pollinizers for the Van variety are:

· Stella
· Rainier
· Burlat
· Bing

I hope that this helps answer your questions.

Have a good day and enjoy the fruit from your Branchberry™ Nadia cv. tree.

Sincerely,

Kevin Brandt
Brandt’s Fruit Trees
Cell: 509-961-5820

1 Like

I haven’t received my reply yet. I emailed my questions to the president of the company.

Damn, I don’t know anyone growing any of those varieties. I still think that most Japanese plums will pollinate Nadia and based on some people having reasonable fruit set people are getting with pollinators like Burgandy, Satsuma, Methley, etc I’d throw some money on it.

1 Like

Black Amber is the mother, and it probably WILL NOT pollinate Nadia! Even if so, it’s too incestuous for me! Santa Rosa pollinates Black Amber. Grandpa’s used to have Black Amber, but it is not listed anymore.I think Santa Rosa is a good one,although that is speculation.

2 Likes