Nadia Sweet cherry x plum hybrid

It took Raintree Three Weeks to deliver. :confused:

2 Likes

Naomi94,

It looks like you tied it down just like I did.

I’m pretty happy with what the structure looks like for now, though the real test is when it has been fruiting for a few years.

Bob

I’m going to try and shape mine this year, I still have some branches that would work. So, no, but may try anyway.

I tied mine down with bricks and large stones, then I buried them in about 2 inches of soil. I also planted about 10 lavender plants around the tree. I like things to look pretty.

How long do you think it will take before you can remove the strings?

By mid-summer, I bet that a lot of the angles will be somewhat hardened into place. I’ve left my string on, as I don’t see a big upside to removing it (as long as the loops are loose enough to not girdle the branches). But, I’m not all that concerned with it from a aesthetic standpoint.

Continuing the discussion from Nadia Sweet cherry x plum hybrid:

These are two Van Cherry Trees, about 6 feet away from the Nadia. They are next to two espalier apple trees, the apples are being grown flat against a fence. (I have never been a huge apple fan). The Van Cherries are also tied down with bricks covered in two inches of soil. I covered the area in some Yellow and Purple Zinnias that I’ve grown over the last few weeks.

My old question is, the cords are unsightly, when can I cut them away and let the tree grow naturally?

Does it has any flower buds?

I wonder if Montmorrency cherry pollen would be compatible with Nadia?

If Raintree ships my Nadias with flower buds, and if they bloom, I will pollinate them with Montmorrency cherry pollen.

yes, it does Van Cherry does have flower buds, the Nadia was planted yesterday.
indent preformatted text by 4 spaces

1 Like

I finally finally found out who’s Nadia’s licensed grower!

Drums, please!

Brandt’s fruit tree inc.

Source: By Dan Wheat, “Cherry-plum gaining legs.” Capital Press The West’s Ag website. March 21st, 2013.

Should we contact the company and ask them about Nadia’s pollinator?

1 Like

Yes! my opinion as a buyer, you have right to know what the Pollinator is

2 Likes

That’s kinda the point of patents, to keep something protected without having to keep any secrets.

It shouldn’t. Ploidy levels of sweet cherries (or J. plums), are different than tart cherries. This inspired this winter’s conversation of chemically changing ploidy levels.

Drew, it is possible to receive hybrids between sweet cherries and sour cherries, there are many of them available in Europe, they are called dukes. Almaden and Danube cherries are supposed to be dukes.

The branches will be pretty well “set” into their new position after one seasons growth. The new wood forms in the new shape. That counteracts the shape of the old wood.

Yes, but you have to change the ploidy level. Which is very possible, and I’m sure what was done to achieve the hybrids. I was thinking of buying the stuff myself and doing it. I talked about this, this winter. We talked about it here.

1 Like

I vote yes.

I’m not sure I can trust what Raintree tells me. Their customer service is horrriiiiibbbblllle. :confounded:

2 Likes

Is this the company you are referring to?
Brant Fruit Tree

1 Like

Yes.

I just sent them an email about a minute ago. Hopefully, they will reply to my email shortly.

1 Like

Have you thought about training the branches to give the tree a better form?

1 Like