Nadia Sweet cherry x plum hybrid

I’ve always had great luck calling raintree.

I’ll probably train my other two Nadias. Raintree will them on April 11th.

I’d say “variable” rather than horrible.

I have never called raintree but every tree that failed they replaced. So I have no complaints.
I emailed them about it. I wanted it in writing with a time stamp. Same with Grandpa’s.

I think they are trying to sell the company

This is the email I received two hours ago:

Kevin Brandt kevin@brandtsfruittrees.com
To seattlesoapcompany@yahoo.com
CC cindy@brandtsfruittrees.com Today at 12:54 PM
Good afternoon Naomi,

Branchberry™ Nadia cv. will not be pollinized by a cherry. Rather, the variety does require a plum for pollinization. Allelic analysis performed in France shows the following varieties to be compatible with the Nadia cv.:

· Fortune
· Black Amber
· Anne Gold cv.
· Aphrodite cv.

Black Amber and Fortune are both open varieties and can be grown by any nursery / individual. I currently know that Van Well Nursery located in East Wenatchee sells Black Amber plum.

In regards to your to your Van cherry tree, it will not be pollinized by the Nadia cv. tree. You will need another cherry tree to pollinize it.

Pollinizers for the Van variety are:

· Stella
· Rainier
· Burlat
· Bing

I hope that this helps answer your questions.

Have a good day and enjoy the fruit from your Branchberry™ Nadia cv. tree.

Sincerely,

Kevin Brandt
Brandt’s Fruit Trees
Cell: 509-961-5820

3 Likes

Kevin Brandt kevin@brandtsfruittrees.com
To seattlesoapcompany@yahoo.com
CC cindy@brandtsfruittrees.com Today at 12:54 PM
Good afternoon Naomi,

Branchberry™ Nadia cv. will not be pollinized by a cherry. Rather, the variety does require a plum for pollinization. Allelic analysis performed in France shows the following varieties to be compatible with the Nadia cv.:

· Fortune
· Black Amber
· Anne Gold cv.
· Aphrodite cv.

Black Amber and Fortune are both open varieties and can be grown by any nursery / individual. I currently know that Van Well Nursery located in East Wenatchee sells Black Amber plum.

In regards to your to your Van cherry tree, it will not be pollinized by the Nadia cv. tree. You will need another cherry tree to pollinize it.

Pollinizers for the Van variety are:

· Stella
· Rainier
· Burlat
· Bing

I hope that this helps answer your questions.

Have a good day and enjoy the fruit from your Branchberry™ Nadia cv. tree.

Sincerely,

Kevin Brandt
Brandt’s Fruit Trees
Cell: 509-961-5820

1 Like

I haven’t received my reply yet. I emailed my questions to the president of the company.

Damn, I don’t know anyone growing any of those varieties. I still think that most Japanese plums will pollinate Nadia and based on some people having reasonable fruit set people are getting with pollinators like Burgandy, Satsuma, Methley, etc I’d throw some money on it.

1 Like

Black Amber is the mother, and it probably WILL NOT pollinate Nadia! Even if so, it’s too incestuous for me! Santa Rosa pollinates Black Amber. Grandpa’s used to have Black Amber, but it is not listed anymore.I think Santa Rosa is a good one,although that is speculation.

2 Likes

I expect a great many plums will pollinate it, the problem is it is hard to try out a lot of different plums. Zaiger has the simple solution that they just use one plum, Burgundy, as the test and if that works they list Burgundy. Or perhaps Santa Rosa as well. But, no more.

Has anyone eaten one of these things yet?

All I’ve seen so far is a write up in the Good Fruit Grower that reads like a catalog description. I’m almost ready to feel good about not jumping on the bandwagon with these things, but a cherry plum cross just sounds so awesome and enticing.

It looks excellent too. I’m protecting mine from the cold, although I should have thought it out. I can’t protect my pluot, and well I won’t have a pollinator! Yikes! I don’t have anymore tarps or lights. I opted for the peach trees. Working so far.

No one in this group has tried it yet. Nevertheless, you could buy one this year, and when it fruits, and if you don’t like them. You could use the tree as a rootstock.

My friends Nadia arrived yesterday, he sent me a picture via facebook and the tree looks heavily pruned. I don’t know whether he pruned or Raintree did it. I asked him who did it, but he is having some problems with his phone’s battery, so he hasn’t replied yet.

I hope that Raintree doesn’t send me heavily pruned Nadias, that’s if they are shipping them pruned.

Ulises, my Nadia was not heavily pruned, but I would say reasonably pruned. No blossoms this season, however.

Patty S.

1 Like

Same as mine. The upper half that I hacked off bloomed.

I had full bloom and probably no fruit set. And this in a spring when apricots and pluots right next to it set fruit.

I have Howard Miracle, AU Producer, Shiro, and maybe Santa Rosa that bloomed along with 4 pluots and several cherries.

I have black amber and fortune, these varieties are native to USA, so if you ask in nurseries that are easily secure.

You can also search on google different pollinators of fortune and black amber that can also serve

That sucks Jafar, But good info thanks. We will figure this out and make it work.
Chill hours, possibly just a young plant, etc. What pollinators will work will require us all to report what we have nearby, and such.
If it is a great fruit that is! If it is excellent it will be worth trying to determine what is wrong.