Nadia Sweet cherry x plum hybrid

Update on my friends Nadia:

Raintree did sent him a well-brached Nadia. I didn’t saw the branches on the first picture that he sent me because they were tighted/wrapped in the bamboo stick.

Today he sent me two pictures and they show a well-branched Nadia.

Next year, I will sent him Flavor Queen and Dapple Dandy* Scions so he could graft them onto Nadia.

Dapple Dandy and Flavor Quuen Pluots are now off-patent.

I was at home bored and I decided to read some documents about the pollination of black amber and fortune.

according to their flowering dates that are the same as that of nadia (flowering semi-early, the initiation of flowering nadia be covered by beaut plum (it blooms about 15 days before nadia) and the end of flowering nadia can be covered by santa rosa.

logically you can use a single pollinator, but using 2 have better production.

just be wanting to know one thing, in the message received by naomi say “Allelic analysis Performed in France”, it would be interesting to know alleles nadia to be sure they are compatible(beaut plum It belongs to incompatibility group I alleles SaSb and santa rosa It belongs to incompatibility group XI alleles ScSe)

2 Likes

Hey I’m you friend too! :sunglasses:

3 Likes

But didn’t I see pictures of these Nadia being sold in stores? Surely someone has already solved this problem, right? In order to produce this fruit, the data exists somewhere. No need to wait several growing seasons guessing. How do we find where these growers are and what they do for pollinators? Anyone know?

1 Like

Here… Toka and Black Ice are in the same stage as Nadia although I only have one or two flowers on Nadia since I had to hack it way back because of the roots. Spring Satin plumcot has started earlier with some flowers but also appears to have some later flower buds at the same stage. From looking at these today, all 3 trees don’t look like all the flowers/buds have been toasted. If I have viable buds on Spring Satin then I’m going to try and pollinate by hand with Black Ice. Black Ice is on the south-east side of house and Spring Satin is on the west side of house even though I have read that Black Ice doesn’t produce much pollen in one my books. fingers crossed. :smiley:

To be fair, it was planted only last year and blooms early for our climate. There were few obvious pollinators and it rained pretty much every day in the bloom period.

The pluots are nearby, but the Japanese plums are probably 150 feet away.

I think cherry royale (cherrroyale.com. au) Might know what pollinates Branchberry Nadia as they are the commercial fruitgrower of this variety.

I’ll try to contact them tomorrow.

matrix,
I’ve heard of Beauty Plum and there is a Red Beaut that is in some Pluots lineage and of course Emerald Beaut,but never just beaut.Does this have another name? Thanks, Brady

I already did. :wink:

1 Like

Thanks.

‘Secrets of Nadia’ it seems they do exist, I hope it’s worth it
If I would be owner of this plant, Prunus Cerasifera would be my choice as Pollinator

2 Likes

Well, the plot kinda thickens. I am way over my head here, as far as pollination technicals go but here is the 1st response I got. Would someone please break this down ‘Barney style’? (I am still waiting for the sencond response)

"Dear Pat,

Thank you for your e-mail.

I have copied Lynnell Brandt in on this e-mail who is the Licence Manager for the US.

The problem with supplying information on what pollinators to use, is that we have considerably different result from region to region. What works for in Shepparton, Victoria, did not work in South-West, Western Australia. Similarly, none of those pollinators have worked in South Korea (in fact different regions of South Korea use different pollinators) due to seasonal variations, differences in chill hours and differences in flowering schedules. For example, allowing for the change in hemisphere, the difference between the flowering schedules (off the top of my head) between Victoria and South Korea is about 2 weeks, and up to 10 days in Korea itself.

In any event, we have supplied this information to Mr Brandt who is in the best place to inform you of the best pollinator or pollinators (we recommend using 2 or 3) for your region.

I am sorry I cannot be of any more help. However, I do not want to make a definitive recommendation which may then turn out to be wrong.

If you have any questions or comments, please do not hesitate to contact me at this e-mail address. Otherwise, I leave you in the hands of Mr Brandt."

So I get the temp/blooming time but there seems to be more than that here. Stay tuned.

1 Like

Well the regional differences could mean the local bees don’t like a certain flower and so pollination is difficult. As far as flower timing that really should not change from region to region. I don’t buy that. If a plum flowers two weeks earlier than Nadia, it should flower two weeks earlier no matter what month it is or where it is. I don’t understand any mechanisms that would cause a different response? Maybe they do exist? I don’t know?

Brady has got decent fruit set and he has
Burgundy,Santa Rosa Plums,Flavor King and Dapple Supreme Pluots.Smaller
contributions from Mariposa,Elephant Heart and Emerald Beaut Plums.
So we need to work with this list.
I’m going to try Dapple Dandy and Flavor King if the weather allows. As I may lose all fruits this year to late freezes.I did already collect pollen from DD.

2 Likes

plum and red beauty beauty are the same variety, beauty plum (name used in USA) and beauty (name used in Europe) network, there is also an improved version of beauty, is the 606 plum.

what I will say now is not accurate and there may be errors.
these are the data start flowering plum 606 (it is the same as beauty or beauty network)
http://www.hernandorena.com/en/products/species-and-varieties/japanese-plum-tree/plum-606/

and this is the date of flowering of black amber
http://www.hernandorena.com/en/products/species-and-varieties/japanese-plum-tree/black-amber/

I personally know the owners of this nursery and I trust their data, according to these data black amber opens its flower 2 weeks later that beauty and therefore beauty can cover the beginning of flowering and according to the tables pollinated santa rosa can cover the end

these dates are in Spain, I have a friend in California and this winter I have been seeing the sprouting of its trees, it’s clear that in california spring trees 1 month earlier than in Spain, so I estimate that black amber and nadia california bloom in the end of January

This picture was taken this morning in my garden, state of black amber and fortune and then search among my plum trees which were the same size, had two (splash and geo pride) these 2 plums or pluots, according to just look, flourish when santa pink, therefore also could serve to flourish nadia

a curious fact, this is a list of varieties planted in the state of Aragon (Spain) in 2015, on page 11 appears nadia(I imagine that is planted under evaluation for resistance to diseases, potential pollinators or evaluate their production before commercial launch)
http://gobierno.aragon.es/estaticos/GobiernoAragon/Departamentos/AgriculturaGanaderiaMedioAmbiente/TEMAS_AGRICULTURA_GANADERIA/Areas/SANIDAD_VEGETAL/CONTROL_CERTIFICACION_CSCV/PLANTAS_VIVERO/LISTADO_VARIEDADES_FRUTALES_ARAGON_PROVISIONAL_20150521.pdf

1 Like

Would you mind asking them where there is more information on Nadia’s flavor and growth habits? It seems like we have access to a lot of marketing type information but no first hand accounts from people actually growing it. (other than the few people on this forum obviously)

I have planted my Nadia in close proximity to an Early Golden, Satsuma, and Ruby Queen… not to mention several Beach Plums, Carmine Jewel, and Crimson Passion. I figure one of the Japanese plums will work…

In my very preliminary observations Beauty started flowering about two weeks before Nadia and they did overlapped at the end for a short period of time. But because of the time it is probably not the best pollinator.

Any have plum grafts take on their Nadia? Mine is planted next to Emerald Beaut and about 15’ from Dapple Dandy and Flavor King. I thought about grafting Satsuma onto the Nadia just as insurance. Curious as to graft compatibility though. What’s taking and what isn’t.

I grafted pluots, pluerry, Satsuma, and cherries on Nadia as early as mid March, thanks to Tony and the other members of the forum. So far they are doing fine, pluots and pluerry started to grow and they are showing green leaf tips through parafilm. Cherries have swollen green buds pushing. It probably does not mean that they are taken, I have to wait until they actually start to grow, but it looks promising anyway. I am planning to graft more plums on Nadia this year, so it won’t feel lonely anymore.

1 Like

Hey Mike,
We are so on the same page. I did just that. I asked, among other questions,
“Some have had the tree bloom and not set fruit with many theoretical pollinators (?) in close proximity.
Do complicated hybrids always present this challenge?
Are there other peculiarities to getting Nadia to bring fruit to maturity?”

Hopefully we will get some helpful info.

Japanese plums are not native and the bees sometimes ignore them. Talk of importing Asian bees has been around, but so far the USDA says no way. So almost all the problems we have usually start from there. Yes pollination problems between hybrids is a problem too. The low chill cherries had problems, I guess once mature bloom more together, when young not so much.
Brady got good fruit set so I think we will figure this out.

1 Like