Nadia Sweet cherry x plum hybrid

Drew were so close and I don’t have any signs yet of green. I still have some snow to melt. Some areas are six inches deep yet, and snow banks are a foot. Most of my yard is bare though. I do have tulips about three inches sticking out in the gardens.

The snow is completely gone here. It’s way early average lows in the 20’s and the low is 36F way above normal. This could be a late freeze year. I hope it’s over and no more freezes!

I was thinking earlier in the winter that with el nino it would give us trouble with false warm spells. I rember 2012 Not sure if that was el nino year but April was much colder than march. I have mosquitoes! March in 2012 it was in the 70’s. I planted my trees that year.

Looks like a shot of snow Thurs here…temps look to go back into the 20Fs for lows. I hope everything stays dormant for at least another 10 days…

I’m going to build a makeshift hoop house for my figs and try to grow garden vegetables.

Our temps are buffered by the lakes so changes are slower, and less extreme. We stay in the mid 30’s for the lowest lows. That should not harm any fruit trees, but I will have to bring my growing figs in the garage. the dormant ones can stay outside.

Looking back at the topic we should move our conversation elsewhere. It’s so easy to get talking.

Anyone want to take a shot at how Candy Heart and Nadia will differ? Will there be any similarities?

I hope to let you know by next year!

It will depend on plum/ cherry ratio on Candy Heart.

From the pictures I’ve seen of the fruit candy heart looks like a typical plum to me. Where as Nadia looks like a large sweet cherry. I have a feeling candy heart will taste more like sweat treat than it will Nadia. Pure speculation though.

1 Like

Any thoughts on them pollinating each other?

Candy Heart fruit should be larger.
Yes,they could probably cross okay. Brady

1 Like

Candy Heart Pluerry is probably a plum x ( cherry x plum) hybrid, or 75% plum, 25% Cherry, whereas Nadia is a 50% plum, 50% cherry hybrid.

I hope that I don’t lose the Nadia Crop this year due to a cold snap; which according to the weather models, a cold snap may hit Social on the 27th of this month.

I think I may Jinxed my-self,

Hurry,delete your post. Brady

2 Likes

Yeah well me too, as it’s far from clear sailing around here too. My trees are all loaded with fruit buds, everything is growing a month early. Not good! Freeze danger till May.

I’m going to build a greenhouse.

1 Like

My Nadia is scheduled to arrive on Wed of this week. I am really looking forward to getting it into the ground.

The warm weather here is waking all my plants up… it is like April in March. At this point I am just hoping we don’t get a late hard freeze.