Nadia Sweet cherry x plum hybrid

I just did get around to taking another photo of the Nadia.It’s been in a hoop house at work with some other fruit trees and plants.They were all brought outside to put gravel down.
It could get near 100F here by the weekend,very hot for the area,this time of year.So,I picked up a yard of pea gravel and spread it on the floor and will sprinkle that with water to induce some evaporative cooling.This is maybe all I can do to help keep the high temperatures in check,without using electricity.There are a couple of temperature controlled vents on the North side and 50% shade cloth that can be rolled down on the South.The highest I saw so far was about 105F inside and the plants look fine,except for two or three trees that had Spider Mites,which were blown off with high pressure water. Brady

1 Like

Brady:

If possible you might want to move the Nadia outside. Spider mites will defoliate it in that hot greenhouse. There’s a better chance that mite predators can keep up outside. I’ve never had a SM issue outside. In the greenhouse they are a serious issue every yr.

1 Like

Thanks fruitnut,that will most likely solve the high temp cooling problem also.There are only about 7-8 pots to move around. Brady

It’s been about 104 here for a week or more, and it was staying hot well before that. My Nadia is holding her own and surviving in full sun. Hasn’t once been droopy or looking burned.

That doesn’t mean she’s delighted with the weather. None of my trees seem to put on much, if any, growth during very hot weather. She’s no exception. You folk with cooler weather all seem to have much more lush growth in your trees than any of mine develop.

Your tree looks nice and healthy. Thanks for getting it ready for me to pick up, Lol!

Looks like I will have a couple of pounds of Nadias

next year; the trees are growing super healthy!

2 Likes

Our Nadia has taken 112 degrees and many many days of 110 without any issue. But thats in ground…potted may be a different thing.

3 Likes

My potted one is doing better than the inground one.

I think,if the soil is kept moist,the trees should grow okay.But there probably is a limit,maybe over 120F and there could be signs of stress. Brady

Here’s an updated photo of my tree. I should have trained scaffolds. I have not pruned at all. I will knock it down and choose scaffolds this winter. I decided not to tie down as it is in the front yard, and just would look terrible! It looks big enough to fruit next year.

Again yours looks like mine. Yours better settle down soon if it’s going to survive -16F in a few months.

Yeah it will get a coating of Wilt Stop. Hopefully winter will come slowly and give these trees time. One never knows. If it fails I will not replace it.

Wow! If only I could provide the kind of conditions that give many of you such amazing summer growth, I’d be rolling in fruit. Guess I’ll just have to find solace in knowing that even though it may take me more years (sometimes many more) to get them suitable for bearing, once they get there I’ve usually got great conditions for getting extra tasty stone fruits.

Your tree has grown fantastically, Drew.

Thanks, the grass is always greener on the other side. I have had plenty of failures. Sometimes I think it is amazing anything makes it to the plate. Losing 5 of 6 Flavor King pluots hurt, when the one was so darn good! I never tasted anything that remotely tasted like Flavor King. Of course I have not grown that many stone fruits. No matter, I’m sold on Flavor King! Plus it grows well here! It’s a winner for the Midwest! Well if we ever have normal winter temps again. Figures all those warm winters, and I had no trees, I get some and an ice age occurs!

1 Like

Even though I tied down the branches, mine has put on a ton of growth. Here’s a pic from earlier tonight. In the background is a sunflower which is almost 9’ tall.

It is the first time I got anything like that kind of growth from a sunflower. The seeds aren’t even new- they are from 2011, which I tossed on the newly prepped ground in between tomatoes as an afterthought.

The one problem I’ve seen with my Nadia is some leaking goo near the bottom. By the time I noticed it, it had hardened. Otherwise, everything is good and the leaves are nice and clean.

So much buzz about Nadia. Has any forum member tried the fruit?

I’d love to hear comments of the taste from our members.

1 Like

Mine is or was leaking also,a clear looking sap,at various places on the tree.The growth has been fairly good though. Brady

Looking good Bob!

No, it is a new release this year. I guess the photos of the fruit, plus for me the fact that The East Malling institute wanted it for breeding. That is like Zaiger genetics wanting it for breeding. It must be super special!
And of course I will tell all my friends it’s a giant cherry (the fruit looks like giant cherries! -see earlier photos of the fruit.).
Also it is being sold in the USA, UK, Turkey, and Korea. Originating down under. Nurseries around the world are not going to mass produce a crappy fruit. So we are not the only ones going nuts about this fruit.
Considering Carmine Jewel, an excellent tart cherry took over 10 years to be released here, and it is from Canada! The speed Nadia spread around the world must be record setting. It took 8 years to get here, that is fast for a tree. The USA distributor had to grow thousands of trees first.
One UK nursery manager said this
“Some other cherry-plum hybrids we’ve seen in the past have had very
pale flesh and no cherry flavor at all, but Nadia definitely delivers on
appearance and taste,”

Nadia is also reported to have extremely high levels of antioxidants,
far beyond standard cherries and plums, and has also performed very well
in long-term storage tests

1 Like

One more flattering, or not so flattering depending on the frame of mind, reason may have to do with the vigor these trees are showing. That can allow a lot more wood and greater and quicker propagation getting them to the mass market. That can make them more quickly profitable for those with the rights to sell them.

The St Julian root must not much like our soil or the high temps have been tough for it. Ours isnt bad, but it isnt half the growth you guys have seen. Ive grafted it onto other roots and the growth has been far far better.