Nadia Sweet cherry x plum hybrid

Vincent,

you are lucky to have both Nadia trees with long stem. WE need to swap scion in early Spring.

Tony

2 Likes

Swapping scions seems like the best way to know for sure. And I can’t see a patent concern in this experiment – as far as we have all been told, you’d be swapping scion wood of the same tree type and putting it back on the same tree type!

There is no way Nadia could ever live up to this much hype – but it’s been a interesting run so far. To be on the cutting edge, one will get paper cuts.

1 Like

I had one Nadia from Raintree as well but dug it up and gave to my cousin almost 3 hours by car from my house. To far to go there for pictures but I called her to get the reports that one had a lot of blooming last spring and no fruit set yet.

1 Like

We don’t know yet, the main thing is which one has better fruit quality. But remember that the short stems were chosen by breeder for us. I’m happy by their mistake somewhere therefore we have both versions of Nadia. And all of us spending time to find out.

1 Like

Katy at Raintree says their Nadia are propagated by Biringer. She didn’t offer anything else. So their trees are the same as one of @Vincent_8B trees. Hmm??

2 Likes

So I think the mess original from Australia before come to US.

1 Like

We can contact Biringer and let see what they say. We know for sure they are different Nadia.

2 Likes

I just go back web site of Dave Wilson Nursery, They did not carry Nadia which is not their product. So I think
I might mess up the tags between Candy Heart and Sweat Treat also bought from Sky nursery or Sky nursery label wrong by mistake.
http://www.skynursery.com/wp-content/themes/skynursery/docs/fruit_tree_list_2017.pdf
With the web above from Sky nursery said the Nadia Plum-Cherry with the rootstock St. Julian A. Their Nadia might come
from Biringer as well.

1 Like

Summer last year Brady saw at Redmond Farmer Market selling Nadia fruits, if this year they have Nadia again
we can ask Brady to take the picture and see its stem short or long.

1 Like

You know I couldn’t wait any longer. I tasted another Nadia cherry x plum hybrid tonight.

Brix: 22.

Juice: from a scale of one to 10. I’ll give it a 9.

Taste: ?

Texture: Very Crunchy.

Notes: Not fully ripe yet.

8 Likes

If they say that, we all have the same tree. Don’t you think Nadia stem determined by pollinator?

1 Like

I am going to wait and wait and wait until it gets really dark, then try it. You should too. Burgundy plums taste much better when they are very dark but not mushy.

3 Likes

I sent them an email a couple of days ago,but haven’t received a reply yet. Brady

2 Likes

No, not possible.
OK, from what you said it now doesn’t look like rootstock. It may be a sport, unsure how to explain it otherwise? Well they may not be Nadia, but they sure look like Nadia. I think they are the same tree as the short stem, just unsure why some have longer stems?

2 Likes

Chosen because of commercial fruit package concerns, according to the above email. That’s really the true lifeblood of this board: the knowledge that we don’t select for the same thing as breeders often do.

3 Likes

Chosen is not quite right, more like decided not to treat with hormones. Not like they had two lines of Nadia, only one Nadia, the short stem. Maybe the long stem is a new sport, but if it is, it’s new and only here not down under.

True, but I was just addressing the temptation to assume that something is superior just because it was selected for marketing. Genetics in the varieties we like are pretty good, and the success rate of finding acceptable seedlings is very high. It’s just that trees take up a ton of time and space, so it’s far more cost effective to start with something known.

1 Like

We don’t know for sure there are different Nadia.

This is one reason we don’t know for sure. Not knocking you in any way but mistakes happen. It’s just as likely, probably moreso, that any mistake is on our end.

No the pollinator won’t affect stem length. I don’t think rootstock will either.

I’m waiting as well. Mine are still hard and I’m well ahead of any others I’ve seen pictures of.[quote=“Drew51, post:1740, topic:197”]
Maybe the long stem is a new sport, but if it is, it’s new and only here not down under.
[/quote]

Chances of this being a sport are way way less than a mistake or something else we’re missing.

6 Likes

Yes I didn’t want to rule it out, but I think now we can, as all look to be on St. Julian.
The long stem appears legit too, Brady had fruit last year that sure looked like Nadia.
I would be willing to graft a long stem on my tree, and can also give scion, my tree is huge, plus I’m cutting a lot off, as two scaffolds are going to other fruits. In this case Nadia to Nadia, it is not a violation of the patent. We are not propagating it.
We could rule out environmental factors. At this point I would say it looks to be a sport or something else, which I feel is unlikely. It looks too much like Nadia via Brady’s fruit last year.

3 Likes

Brix 22 should be a very good. At least you had been tasted for the 2nd fruit season.

3 Likes