Nadia Sweet cherry x plum hybrid

Just when I was going to wait wait wait, a few fell off the tree! So much for good hang time. Is that you laughing itheweatherman? I will wait a couple of days while these ripen a little more in the window sill. The small one on the left is about the color they should be.

8 Likes

The Austrailian folks observed that the ones with long stems reverted to short stems the following year. So a scion demonstrating long stems might produce short stems.
I wonder if some of the fruit with long stems were treated with a hormone somewhere along the line.

5 Likes

This could be the big reveal… Like king tuts tomb or whatever that weirdo eas doing 20 years ago

3 Likes

How are they tasting to you? Their bix?

1 Like

A nursery isn’t going to treat the trees with a hormone that would have this effect two yrs later. And the same nursery, Biringer, apparently grew all the trees including the short stem ones from Raintree.

1 Like

Hi Antmary
Could you tell us where did you buy your Nadia tree? And you have some pictures of your Nadia fruits for now? Thank you. Vincent.

1 Like

I bought it from Raintree in 2015. My fruits are bagged so I would like to not disturb them. Tomorrow I’ll try to make pictures. Mine are more along the short stem version.

3 Likes

Thank you so much, I wonder why some of us though you have long stems Nadia. Thank again Antmary.

1 Like

Good enough information, you don’t have to take pictures of your Nadia tomorrow Antmary. Thanks again. Vincent

2 Likes

Enjoy.

1 Like

Thanks,
They will ripen for a couple of more days on the window sill. I am not in a big hurry. They will be eaten at their pinnacle ripeness.

4 Likes

Sometimes I wonder if interspecific plum hybrids are even worth breeding? What I mean is that they always end up looking like a plum. For example Flavorella, Spring plumcot, Nadia, and the velvet apricot series, are half plum and yet, they look more plum-like than apricot-like. Even Wellman’s Delight peachplum looks exactly like a plum despite of been half peach. Thus, for this reason, as a fruit breeder, I will probably leave plums out of my breeding project and work on hybridizing other stone fruits.

3 Likes

No doubt you’re right, Ulisies. But I still think Nadia might end up being a good breeding parent to cross back with a cherry. At least it’s a good starting point to try to get that chimerical size-of-a-plum-taste-of-a-cherry fruit.

2 Likes

Flavorella to me looks half plum and half apricot but it does taste plum like.

1 Like

From what Nursery did you got that Nadia from?

I don’t think DWN propagates Nadia cherryplums.

2 Likes

No they had not, on 1738 I said that might mislabeled by Sky nursery or I messed up labels between Candy Heart and Sweat Treat bought the same place as well Ulises.

1 Like

I snuck a taste of the small dark Nadia and compared the taste to a small Burgundy plum which fell off the tree today .The Nadia fruit on the window sill could have ripened a couple of more days, however the flavor is a little sweeter and more raspberry-berry like now. The burgundy plum has a more bland berry like taste so far. I did not taste much of a cherry flavor in the Nadia fruit. The taste to me is a complex spicy raspberry with a very slight hint of cherry. It should make a very nice jam. I made some Burgundy jam last season, the taste is way better than store bought jams. The Nadia tree is a keeper so far.

8 Likes

I got a real taste of Nadia the last couple of days. They are soft, some even a little too soft. The taste is pretty strong with an acid kick and what many will probably experience as distinct cherry overtones. I’d rate them solid 7 probably an 8 overall for taste. They fall something in line with the Flavor Supreme taste profile, sweet/tart, but they’re not as good as FS. Brix was 23, 23.5, 24 on three I just ate. They ave near 30 gm with stems about 1 cm, 3/8 inch. Small seeds more plum than cherry like but not much bigger than a cherry,

I’d be pretty certain that this is the real Nadia from Raintree.

20 Likes

I’m about to taste another one.

5 Likes

In your own opinion, is that a keeper?