NectaPlum

My Zaiger NectaPlum has a few flowers and flower buds left plus a lot of fruit sets.

4 Likes

Such a pretty tree!

Fruit set for me has been horrible, hopefully this year will be better.

1 Like

Fruit set on our has been terrible also. It gets one more year but if it pulls this crap next season its the axe.

1 Like

It does require feeding, esp. a source of potash in the prior year.

1 Like

Ate the first ripe one of the 2016 season today. Delicious!!

5 Likes

My Nectaplum went horribly wrong this year. Major thrip damage caused some soft spots on most all the fruit at least I think it was thrips. I am having some fungal issues as well on foliage so that could be it but I think it’s thrips. Anyway because of the damage again I think anyway lots of the fruit are dropping prematurely and have been for a few weeks. Is this a charecteristic of this variety or is the dropping likely due to the damage?

I would think damage. This will be the third year of fruit on mine and so far it sets heavy. I thin to about a fruit every foot and I may loose a couple but no different than a peach or nectarine. We like spice z it is a good white nectarine.

1 Like

I’ve been buying Spice Zee NectaPlums from a local orchard for the last couple of weeks, and I like the flavor. Very nice fruit. This year is their first substantial harvest of Spice Zee.

2 Likes

I’ve never heard of this fruit tree. Does it need a pollinator? What does the fruit look and taste like?

Here are a couple of photos of the fruit from a year or two ago.To me,the flavor is like a Peach,not much Plum.They are self fertile. Brady

2 Likes

Thank you!

Spice Zee Nectaplum information from Dave Wilson Nursery

My Spicezee is not looking too hoy these days. After growing like gangbusters last year I hacked it back this year and I may have set it back. I put 5 grafts on it this spring and only 1 honey Royale survived. The leaves have started to green but it’s not growing out like the rest of my trees.

Pruned it today from 14’ down to 5’.

5 Likes

Bloom time!

7 Likes

Late afternoon photo

6 Likes

Here’s mine

9 Likes

That tree looks very close to the fence. Does it try to grow away from the fence? I guess it looks like fence is to the north of the tree? I’m asking because a year after I planted my peach tree, my neighbor put up a 6’ fence to the south of tree. About 4-5 ft between the tree and the fence. Now the tree tries to grow back towards the sun. Just few branches. Not sure what to do other than ripping off neighbor’s fence😁

@bleedingdirt – a very nice density of blossoms!

That’s no problem. The tree grows like an informal espalier.