New apple pie recipe

A couple weeks ago, we were watching a Martha Stewart baking episode and the show was all about apples. The first part of the show she had a guy on there that raises heirloom varieties and he described some of them. After that he even showed how to do some grafting, doing a couple cleft grafts on a lopped off trunk.

Anyway after that she showed how to make a particularly interesting apple pie. The crust and apple filling was the usual but the topping was what is best described as little cinnamon rolls. You roll out a thin layer of dough, cover it with a cinnamon butter filling. Then that is rolled up into a log like roll, and put in the freezer for about 30 minutes. After that the roll is cut into half, then quarters and then eighths, and then into thinner slices.

These little rolls are then placed on top of the pie filling, and baked in the oven at 425 for about half hour. It was a visual and taste treat. Here are some pics of what is called an Apple Slab Pie. We used mostly Goldrush and a few Jonagold. The apples were still a bit firm after cooking but not too bad.

Pie filling, lots of apples, with a few bits of butter.

Pics of the little rolls

Finished product:

After some QA sampling:

21 Likes

@subdood_ky_z6b
Bob,
That looks like a real good pie! I imagine if you ate that with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and a cup of coffee a person would feel pretty spoiled.
I think i might feel a little to comfortable with pie like that around! Thanks for sharing that!

5 Likes

Thanks, my wife did most of the work. I put the butter on the apples, and mixed up the filling. Oh, I did pick all the apples back in October!

Yeah some ice cream would go good with it but we just ran out. But, we got plenty of coffee and milk. We just had supper so maybe we’ll have some pie later.

My wife said the official name was Cinnamon Swirl Apple Slab Pie. Here is the recipe.

5 Likes

Now that looks lime something I’m gonna gave to try. That sure isn’t gonna help my waistline out but it’s not gonna stop me from making either. Thanks, I think.

1 Like

What’s the easiest way of cleaning drool of a keyboard. :rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

yummy

1 Like

For a few years I managed the orchard she planted in Westport CT after she sold the property. What a mess the trees were after being managed by Savatree, which did the work for Martha for free in exchange for promotional favors.

Martha knows little about the fine points of orcharding. She met with me one Saturday to discuss her fruit trees on her new estate in Bedford, NY. I walked her property and offered my advice on all her trees and she said she’d hire me to manage them.

When I came to do some work there a few days later, an armed guard informed me that there had been a change of plans. I later learned that after meeting with me on Saturday she met with the Savatree rep she worked with on Sunday and translated all my advise to him (he’s a friend of mine).

She paid me with a dozen eggs from her chickens- the claim she was looking for an orchard manager was a ruse. It turns out that Martha makes a hobby out of tricking small business people out of money and time and has a terrible rep all through the community with people she has cheated.

Just some gossip I thought you might enjoy. I’m sure the pie is great, but seems a bit complicated. I doubt she’s ever baked it.

6 Likes

Sounds scandalous she seems so nice.

1 Like

Actors appear to be whatever they want to appear to be. Some are nice, but persona is not the same as personality. We have lots of celebrities in the area I work and I’ve always lived where lots of actors also live (Malibu, NYC) having some famous ones as customers. Of all of them, she is my no. 1 villain and the only one I would discuss here.

5 Likes

That looks yummy!
I like to add a teaspoon of vanilla extract to my apple pies. I mix the vanilla into the sugar before mixing the filling together, so it distributes evenly. We don’t add ice cream, so having the vanilla in the pie is a nice touch.

1 Like

Thanks. We used vanilla extract, I believe, along with a little bit of lemon juice and some sugar with the apples, and then mixed them all up in a big bowl. The lemon juice may be used to keep the apples from turning brown, but it along with the vanilla gave it an interesting flavor.

3 Likes

That looks deadly🤤. I may have to make that one! Yummy!

1 Like

Yeah, but all those apples are good for you, right? It’s the best of both worlds, cinnamon buns and apple pie! I keep saying I need to cut back on sweets, but this makes it difficult. But, a simple apple pie may be my favorite dessert.

4 Likes

She just seems like not a very nice person. I despise seeing her on the TV or even in magazines. Glad you sort of confirmed what I suspected of her.

2 Likes

Many people wear masks in public,can’t just trust them just by their appearance or what they say, watch what they do.

2 Likes

On the other hand, we watch entertainers to be entertained. Whether they have warm hearts in real life isn’t much an issue. It isn’t like Martha Stuart is going to invite you over to her mansion to enjoy a slice of pie and her company.

1 Like

Regarding MS: I don’t usually think of felons as being nice people. But I guess she has put enough time and effort into resurrecting her brand that people have largely forgotten she is an ex-con.

Regarding the pie: It looks fantastic. I can only imagine how wonderful it must taste. I would love to try making it when I have time.

3 Likes

Well, it didn’t last but a few days, I finished it off Tuesday night with some vanilla ice cream.

Need to see if we have any more apples left for another one…

Subdood, I apologize for pirating this to talk about non-pie matters, but I must insert that people can be guilty of criminal acts and still be very nice people who might have lost control of their behavior, suffer the consequences and then rehabilitate themselves. What’s more, the majority of people committing jailable offences never get caught. MS didn’t go to jail for the offence she originally committed but for lying to investigators about it. If she wasn’t famous she probably wouldn’t have ever even been investigated.

1 Like

While I don’t appreciate the hijacking, which I really didn’t think was relevant to the subject at hand, I do accept your apology.

I’m just so glad James Comey brought this heinous criminal to justice!

But I digress.

Back to more important matters, like what am I going to do with the rest of these Goldrush?? Apple crisp, apple cake, or apple butter? Maybe just a simple pie will suffice.