New apple varieties by Midwest Apple Improvement Association

I hope you get some very good Goldrush apples off your trees this coming year. That would be about a 2 to 2 1/2 hour drive for me to get there. Same with Fuhrmann’s orchard. About the same amount of drive time.

I’d like to hear about the Goldruch apples that you get this year. I’ll hold up my buying one of those trees until I hear someone close to me , like you, that actually grows it.
I appreciate your thoughts on this apple when you get some growing there.

1 Like

Wondering if folks can give updates on Crunch-a-bunch, especially disease resistance to CAR, FB, Scab.

I wish folks would cross Goldrush x Liberty and strive for total disease resistance genes instead of “crunch” and sweetness. Maybe I should try…

2 Likes

You have Ruby Rush available which is Enterprise X Goldrush. I bought fruit local and I have a tree on the way. I ate the last one in early January and it had faired well in my fridge for 2 months. It’s not as sweet as Wild Twist that I bought at the same time. I am interested to see how it does in my area as a possible one to plant to sell.

1 Like

And maybe you should.

UMN claims “Triumph” is disease free. I’m not sure if they mean scab or fb or car or something else. There are other trees that look cleaner. But, possibly it’s some other genetic reason it doesn’t look vibrant.

I doubt MAIA finds a better apple than EverCrisp.
(That’s the reason I desire it as a pollinator for crosses I hope to make.)

1 Like

Hey @BobVance im wondering how Florina has been with CAR for you?

Sorry- I’ve barely been paying attention to the fruit from most of my apples (jujubes are where it is at…), let alone their relative disease resistance. If you are still curious, remind me next summer and I can go out and check out the tree.

My lack of concern for the apples is making me feel a little more comfortable cutting them back hard. I think I’ve never really pruned enough. This year, maybe I’ll get to “too much”, from “not enough”. Same with thinning. I’m going to make a concerted effort to thin too much. I’ve seen what “not enough” gets me- too much poor quality fruit.

3 Likes