New persimmon varieties

I never updated my results with what OGW sells as Fuping jian shi persimmon. I left 1 fruit to confirm the identity. The fruit does not match. It looks more like another Chinese persimmon, Fire Crystal. @Sophia2017 does your Fire Crystal fruit match this? I’m talking about Lintong Huojing (臨潼火晶柿)

8 Likes

This is my fire crystal last summer i got it from OGW. It seems to have 4 lobe shape compared to my nikitas gift

1 Like

This is interesting that Fire Crystal is smaller than Nikita’s Gift. Most pictures online do demonstrate that it is a smaller kaki. Must be pretty good for it to be so popular in China.

Mine was a little stringy and the taste wasn’t very memorable. However, this is not a fair assessment, because the fruit came from a small newly purchased plant that is still potted. I wonder what mine really is. At least it appears to be a grafted tree and bears fruit. It could have been a rootstock or a male tree…

Can someone point me to a post were someone describers the flavor of Fire Crystal favorably?

little stringy and the taste wasn’t very memorable is the same as i thought about tasting it. the Nikita gift was slightly better in comparison. the texture and flavor was different than my hachiya i really love.

Those are my Fire crystal persimmons. The scions were from my friends. I don’t know if they are Lintong.

10 Likes

How do you like the flavor?

Hi, Sophia,
Just out of curiosity, does your fire crystal show the special traits of the following:

1. the skin can be peeled off easily
  2. The pulp can be sucked out using a straw
    Are these hypes or real?
    I saw it here:
    https://youtu.be/6pI838LAC08
    FireCrystal01
    FireCrystal02
1 Like

Yes, Fire crystal is easily peeled and can be drunken from straw. But a lot of other persimmon have those traits when fully ripen.
Personally I don’t like Fire crystal. The size is small. The taste is not so sweet.

1 Like

Thank you for your input!
I was thinking to buy a Fire Crystal. The seller claims it is the original FC from Lintong. Like you said, it’s fruits are really small. If the taste is not extremely special, it may be not worth the effort.
The seller will also offer a black persimmon and a rainbow pear.

6 Likes

I didn’t hear any special traits, except color, of black persimmon.
Rainbow pear looks like 早酥红梨. 早酥红梨 is very good, especially resistant to FB. The flowers are red, the fruits are beautiful, and the taste is excellent.

4 Likes

Looks like it is showing signs of fire blight in that picture.

3 Likes

So I am not sure if it is 早酥红梨. I grafted a few buds on one tree in the fall before last year. Last year That tree had very serious FB. I almost cut all grafted branches, but 早酥红梨 all survived. I didn’t get good buds. They just grew a little bit.

Well, darn it. I just went to some effort to get a Fire Crystal and hope it’s worth it. I was searching for a small persimmon (golf ball size) that can be peeled and frozen as a dessert. I have seen such sold in a japanese grocery.

2 Likes

I checked a few resources. Rainbow Pear is indeed 早酥红梨 according to one resource. Looks promising.

1 Like

I think FC is still a good variety. Where did you get yours?

Does anyone know if the original green Zao Su Li (早酥梨) tastes the same as the red one? I got scion of that to graft this year. The red one is more attractive but I’ll be ok with the green one if the flavor is the same.

NoVa, I purchased Fire Crystal from OneGreenWorld this winter. It’s a 2 ft whip. I planned to keep it potted till next fall.

1 Like

The taste should be very similar except for the color. The red one sells better.

1 Like

Thanks for the info!