New persimmon varieties

Hi :hugs:

Does anybody know about the Lehman 100-66 variety? I’m thinking of adding it to my collection but I have never heard of it before… I only know about 100-46 and the other common Lehman varieties.

I just wanted to update that my Gil Ya persimmon purchased from Edible Landscaping appears to have suffered heavy damage from a freeze back in April. It budded out a little too early and isn’t leafing out even though most other damaged persimmons are on the way to recovery. The wood looks to have frozen. Oh well, I’ve got ready replacements from potted grafts I made last year. I was hopeful this one would be cold hardier than some of the Japanese varieties but no persimmon is safe from cold once leafed out.

4 Likes

sorry to hear about that but thankful for the updates so i see you are in zone 6b/7a. im in zone 8B. what did edible landscaping listed that variety to be suitable for? what was its cold hardiness?

Many kaki and Hybrid varieties will not tolerate late frost well after leafed out in the Spring. But they will handled the low temp well during Winter dormancy.

3 Likes

I think it’s listed as zones 6-8. Like Tony said, persimmons just don’t handle frost well after leafing out.

1 Like

Some of my Rojo Brillante branches died back after waking up in February! In Zone 8B.
But most of the tree is healthy and should recover fine.

Some figs got hit badly too. Thankfully all my other trees seem ok.

2 Likes

On another note, Great Wall looks like the frost killed it after budding out. All the branches were crispy dry. Oh well, Korea Kaki will take its spot.

Sorry to hear about the Greatwall kaki. You can graft more JT-02 in its place.

1 Like

Thats too bad all the persimmon damage yall received from the late spring freeze this spring…
That freeze did not hurt me out here in KS, but the early deep freezes I got in october proved fatal for a lit of things including killing some 3’ american seedlings to the ground as well as my small yates and rosseyanka! But no damage to Kasandra at all!
And the latest discovery: in my less protected 6b location, my nice Hwang Kum 3 Che grafts that grew 4’ last summer were totally killed, even the thicker 1/2" limbs, but my Seedless Che grafts on the same Osage Orange bush, same age, were not even damaged at all!!
So we find out what takes these weird events and share the results!!
I think I have some HK3 scion still in the fridge, so I better check it asap and see if it is still alive and viable… I also have another tree in a more protected location that I need to check up on…

That’s crazy you got freezes like that in October. I can understand why they were so damaging. Your trees probably weren’t even dormant yet.

My losses are minimal. Most trees are on their way to recovery and I’ve 6 new persimmons in pots from last year’s grafting ready to replace anything that dies. More new kaki varieties are being grafted this year for further trial.

@tonyOmahaz5 I will make a backup JT-02 next year when my current tree should have abundant wood.

2 Likes

All my persimmon are in great condition, no winter damage. On most of them, too much bloom, especially the Giombo and R/B.
October Artic freezes did a number on my inground figs. I will grow them like the Japanese do, extreme low to the ground.
Same with citrus, they are also in heavy bloom, now fruiting. They have dropped their excess already and have sprayed their second Low Biuret spray. I really don’t get excited about bloom because their are many things possible going wrong. Fall when I get a more excited.

4 Likes

The tales of two Hybrid persimmons. Mother’s day late frost. JT-02 aka Mikkuso did just fine with no died back and flowers well.

Half of Kasandra leaves burned and dropped all the flowers. Oh well. Just have to wait for next year to taste it.

Now with all the potted Tam Kam are loaded with flowers.

16 Likes

Thank you for sharing your observations, Tony. My JT-02 was more frost resistant than most kaki and Prok as well. Just another reason to grow this hybrid. Looks like you’ll have a good harvest!

6 Likes

Excellent Tony, your green tump is getting bigger. Are you buying that lot in the picture. One acre is not enough for your operation. How about a greenhouse 72’x36’, not big enough either.

4 Likes

I am so excited about the good report on JT-02!
And Kasandra too, here in my location even the unusually late freeze that demolished my pear and plum crop, Kasandra leafed out a few weeks later with no damage, so if JT-02 is even better, that is what we need!! Hopefully some of the other hybrids prove similarly hardy! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

No more lot. 1 acre on the green is keeping me plenty busy. Plus my Red Lantern LLC. Vietnamese Street foods Restaurant is grand opening on 6-16-20 plus my 8 rental houses to care for.

Redlanternomaha.com

Also thinking about stocking some fish in the ponds near by my property.

14 Likes

First class operation Tony, more reason to stop by!! What a busy guy!
Good for you. Wish you all the success.

4 Likes

Tony,
Who say you can’t have it all?

Not sure when you have time to sleep :grin:
Good luck with your new restaurant!!

4 Likes

Thanks Tippy,

If you ever in Omaha on CWS or Berkshire hathaway annual meeting with Warren Buffett then stop by because We got the best zoo in the country also. Come to the Red Lantern and it on the house.

4 Likes

I don’t know any Warren Buffet.:rofl:
I only know buffet which I love. I love Vietnamese food, too.

Now I have a reason to go to Omaha!!!

6 Likes