New persimmon varieties

The Oracle of Omaha will sent a jet from his company to pick you up then you will get to know him as Warren. Lol

4 Likes

Feel so bad now, knowing I don’t fit in this forum. My deep pockets all have holes in’m. Can’t even hold coins.

7 Likes

Don’t feel bad Bob, I am using my two Popeye the Sailor man coin savers.

5 Likes

Tony, are you in antique’s also? What else?

2 Likes

Don’t forget a GAS PASSER.

2 Likes

Congrats with your new restaurant Tony I wish you all the best. Your trees are looking great by the way.

4 Likes

Wish you a lot of success :+1:t3::+1:t3: you could add persimmon donuts to the menu :thinking::sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Here’s another persimmon variety we don’t hear much about called Niu Nai.
http://ediblelandscaping.com/buyPlants.php?func=view&id=1254
@cousinfloyd I think you were looking for this variety at one time.
@hambone Maybe this is what you need to pollinate your Giboshi.

5 Likes

I was (and am) interested.
Here’s what one of the Wye reports had to say about Niu Nai:
“Niu Nai: Round-headed to spreading tree bearing large, round, orange-yellow fruit of good quality, ripening mid- to late-season. Fruit is astringent until soft-ripe. Avg fruit weight: 6.3 oz.”
It was one of the varieties (part of a fairly small percentage of all the varieties trialed) that survived long-term at Wye without succumbing to winter injury, KSD, or other random issues. It was also noted as a variety with outstanding fall color.
This is the first I had heard about it occasionally producing male flowers, so that’s a very helpful piece of information.

2 Likes

This variety sounds like a very hardy variety! It would likely make an attractive, and useful shade tree, in addition to the fruit. The male flowers feature is of particular interest, since most kaki in cultivation in the US are purely female. It must produce a decent amount of males since Edible Landscaping states fruit are usually seeded.

3 Likes

It must be a very interesting persimmon that they are able to graft to Myrobalan rootstock.

:grin::rofl:

BTW, my Gil Ya from Edible landscpaing died over the winter. Our low temps were only around 25F so I wonder what happened here.
When I spoke to them, they said that Gil ya is the same as Izu. Which is unfortunate because they had advertised Gil Ya as an early astringent type. If it is Izu, it is far less interesting.

1 Like