New plant to me- suspected invasive!

So I was checking trees today and came across this plant in my windbreak. I suspect it’s an invasive. What is it?

porcelain vine?

1 Like

Let me look at images of that. So far have been unable to find it though it looks a little like Boston ivy http://extension.illinois.edu/vines/perennials.cfm. Not ruling out porcelain vine but it’s leaves look more grape like https://www.nps.gov/plants/ALIEN/fact/ambr1.htm

Looks a bit like a viburnum to me, but I’m not sure.While people are looking at potential weeds, maybe I can pile on with one.

I was letting this one grow because it looked like a grape vine, but I’m starting to think that it isn’t. Any ideas?

I found some pics, which could be it:

http://sites.ipfw.edu/native-trees/ArrowwoodViburnumIconGallery.htm

This is actually one of the varieties I had to use as a wetland planting to satisfy the town (not at my house). Hence, why I had the name, when normally I only know about fruiting plants :slight_smile:

1 Like

If it’s a vine, it’s porcelain berry. A pain to keep under control, all over my property.

2 Likes

It is porcelainberry. Yes, it is a terrible invasive. Get rid of it while you can. The vines can suffocate entire plots.

1 Like

All porcelainberry must die:

2 Likes

Matt,
Not sure I won the war but this battle is mine for sure! Might kill a nearby windbreak tree or two but that vine will not be back!

2 Likes

Thanks @c5tiger looks like you nailed it! Thanks to everyone who helped me identify this invasive! It won’t be invading here!

1 Like

The only reason I know was because I found this vine Help id grape like vine and searched google for grape like vine. Porcelain kept coming up and I realized we have a few around also.

1 Like

That’s an interesting link Matt. In a somewhat surprising turn, I think both the plant that Clark is asking about and the one I’m asking about are the same thing. The leaves look different, but the link mentions:

And to complicate matters for people trying to learn to identify it in
the field, the leaves of porcelain berry can assume greatly varied
forms, even on the same vine.

My vine matches the “alternate form” that they’ve pictured. I checked and while they are related to grapes and said to be edible, they are described as “not very palatable”. So, I’m out to the yard to eliminate it. Hopefully I can pull it from the ground, including the roots.

Clark, sorry to send you down the wrong path- the Arrowwood Viburnum is a bush, not a vine, so that rules it out from the start.

2 Likes

Glad I could be of some help. My day job involves invasives control and native forest conservation.

5 Likes

Also of note, it can grow 20+ feet a year. I cut some down on a neighboring property last summer. Back up to 20’ this summer.

1 Like

Ampersand,
Thank you it literally grew over 20’ here this year which made me think to post it as a suspected invasive. Had no idea how bad this plant can be.

They are everywhere in my area, the cover whole trees, hedges, everything.

The berries are pretty…

1 Like

I probably didn’t get all the roots- hopefully I got enough of them, though I got the roots of a few raspberries (which weren’t growing where they were supposed to be anyways…) in the process.

I mowed the whole mess up to make sure that no birds came by and ate the freshly ripening fruit (just starting to happen).

Glad we are rid of them Bob they look like they would make thistles look like house plants! That’s the first thing I used tordon on this year. I reserve it for the woody invasives that are not overly common.

There are nurseries in RI that sell Porcelain vine. You do not see them in abundance as they once were. They are now growing like weeds, and strangling all trees and other plants. Porcelain Vine is an invasive beast!

Yikes. I don’t think we have that particular weed here in any abundance so far. Plenty of terrible garlic mustard and honeysuckle to go around, though. I am also starting to see burning bush and callery pear escapees, but mostly in close to town.

1 Like