New (to me) fruits

Took a trip down to San Diego and had the opportunity to try some new fruits. Maprang, star apple, red custard apple, makrut lime, ice cream bean, and Tahoe gold mandarin. The mandarin was absolutely delicious and insanely juicy. Got most of these from specialty produce in SD and a few from the local farmers markets.

Red Custard Apple:

Star Apple and Makrut Lime:

Ice Cream Bean:

Mamey Sapote:

Makrut Limes:

Tahoe Gold Mandarin:

Maprang:

Red Custard Apple:

Star Apple:

Mountain Papaya:

19 Likes

amazing to see ice cream bean in a supermarket.

4 Likes

What’s the thing that looks like a brown round pineapple?

Could you post labels? I’m so curious!

I love cherimoya / custard apples, but they’re so expensive to buy here. I’m too far north to plant them, sadly. I’m hoping pawpaws hit a similar sweet spot.

I don’t think it was your typical supermarket. I had to sign a wavier to visit and wear gloves the whole time. I think they mostly supply restaurants in the area. Super cool store though. I did see lots of vendors at various farmers markets selling Ice Cream Bean and cherimoya though.

1 Like

Done!

I wish I could grow them as well but I live in Washington state… I brought back all the seeds so I’ll have lots of houseplants i guess…

I think your looking at the red custard apple. I put labels on them now so you should be able to tell what it is.

1 Like

Wow that’s intense. I’ll make sure to swing by there next time I am in town.

2 Likes