Newest banana leaf

Does anyone know, Do bananas flower at the same height during the second crop and so on?? or are they shorter or taller? Thanks for any info.

1 Like

They vary by crop and local conditions. It is often the case that a second or 3rd generation corm sprouted and attached to the mother corm in the soil will attain a higher pstem height than the original corm planted there.

2 Likes

Here is the newest update Aug 7 2019

3 Likes

Todays update

5 Likes

Another year. I am hoping this Apple banana send up a flower this year.

Here it is today April 10. A few more weeks …maybe… and it will be able to go out.

pups

3 Likes

Here is an update June 28… The growth habit is the same as two years ago. Each leaf is getting slightly then the last. flower bud should come. I hope it beefs up a little in the next few weeks, I’ll be watering heavy.

4 Likes

Update July 20
It’s looking a lot better, loving the 90F+ temps we’ve been getting since early July!

3 Likes

Very nice. Still plenty of growing season left too. When do you have to drag it back inside? I might have to try bananas again. I got rid of mine years ago, but do still have a bird of paradise (that hasn’t bloomed yet).

I have both types BOP. The smaller orange one blooms every year, but my white one hasn’t yet…And it’s 13ft tall!:astonished:

Shoot…i think the one i have is a white bop…great…i’ll be dead by the time it blooms here.

1 Like

Yeah they are stubborn.
Here’s my orange BOP.

Maybe i need to try an orange instead. Ebay has them pretty cheap…one seller is from Yucaipa.

Mine continues to grow…also have a few pineapples growing from tops.

3 Likes

Nice.
I had a pineapple growing (Inground) did not care for our chilly winter. Hawaii we are not!

thanks! I will keep a few pups after it flowers and get rid of the big container. Usually everything comes in around mid Oct.

My orange bop is so sad. It has 2 out of the 5 plants still alive. You have a much better chance at the orange blooming then the White!

Mine was about the size of your when I bought it 5 years ago.
it had some damage in the late spring. Here is is now

1 Like

Makes me want to ditch the white and go orange then. That is a massive leaf!

That’s actually the white BOP. The orange has much smaller leaves. (see my pic above)

Yup…found this off google…

Strelitzia nicolai is known as the white bird-of-paradise . It is a much larger plant than the Strelitzia reginae, especially if you give it a large tub or pot in which to grow.

Goes on to say the white can reach 8ft tall. I do like those large leaves. Mine looked good all winter just in front of a south facing window.

1 Like

They can get much bigger inground. Shoot, mine is already over the roof in my ranch style house. Maybe 12ft. I’ve read 30ft in places like here in CA and FL.

Yeah i think they meant potted. Obviously my pot is too small already. I think they are native of S Africa so probably do well in California? Have you seen them blooming (the white variety)?

Pineapples are pretty easy to grow…i had one for years that was neglected but never died. I think once they reach a certain size you can force them to fruit. A dude online has a very nice page on how he grows them inside his house/fruits them…has quite the setup.

http://pineapple.myindoorgrowroom.com/inpine.htm

1 Like

Yes. I’ve seen tons of blooming ones here in California. Mine wasn’t tall enough to get 6+ hours of sunlight a day until this year. So fingers crossed it blooms soon!

Edit: nice pineapple website btw. Think I’ll give them another try!