Nikita's Gift Persimmon Fruit Drop?

Mine dropped almost all last year too ramv, I think that was from the 115 degree weather. This year it looks to be setting well, but its probably too early to tell.

The tree is 4 years old and I believe the graft is 3 years old. First 2 years I fertilized it. But didn’t fertilize last year or this year.

1 Like

Your tree is a lot more well behaved than mine. My NG is 7-8 years old. Never got watering except for rain.

The big deficit is it only gets about 6 hours of sun a day.

1 Like

Just got me a box of dried persimmon to munch on until my Tam Kam and the rest of the American persimmon ripen in October.

7 Likes

Checked out my 4-5 year old NG today. All fruit dropped again this year. It’s a slow grower too. I bought Saijo at the same time and it’s at least six foot taller.

1 Like

Saijo seems very vigorous.

Not a single drop…in fact I had to remove some fruit because of heavy set and a long term drought.

Cross section shows that every single fruit had a minimum of one seed…thank you Universal.

5 Likes

In my experience saijo is more of an upright grower while NG grows wide.

And now my NG drops more fruit than all prior years combined!

That was painful esp. after they sized up for a while. Mine dropped when fruit were young. The tree has been given a notice to behave or else……

If JT-02 taste good, it will take NG’s place. I tasted NG two years in a row. To me, it’s OK, nothing special but my friend claimed it was the best persimmon he has had. It is either his taste or mine that is out of whack.

2 Likes

Kind of hard to know when none of us can ever get one to taste. Rename to Nikita’s Drop?
I had a couple make it to ramv’s size before they dropped.

1 Like

From what I’ve read elsewhere recently, it can take 4-5 years to have reduced fruit drop on Nikita’s Gift. I’m not sure how much longer I will want to wait, I’m on year one of drop.

I’m somewhere around 4. It doesn’t grow very fast either.

Sad to say my tree was 8 years old now. It has flowered for the past 4-5 years now. Only in 2020 and 2021 that a few fruit survived to maturity. I don’t have any male persimmon around.

I have not fertilized the tree since 2018 but the soil is decent judging from perennials and fruit trees nearby. NG has dropped fruited every year. Most years, it dropped all the fruit, hundreds of them.

The tree should be mature enough by now, shouldn’t it? The only negative thing I could think off is that the tree gets only about 5 hours of sun. But dropping all the fruit every year!!! That’s criminal!!!

Mine was going to get the “let me give it another year”, but your at 8. I’m starting to rethink mine. There are so many other varieties that are as good or better I can graft it over to.

1 Like

8 years! Ow, that hurts.

FWIW, the Kassandra that I planted in 2017 is loaded. This is the first year with a crop. I had the usual early season drop when the tree lost 80% of the blossoms, but there must still be 200 fruits on the tree now. I have no pollinator.

Supposedly the fruit is better than NG and it ripens fairly early. I’d be happy to supply scions (provided I don;t get a billion requests). Assuming that the fruit ripens, anyone within driving distance is welcome to visit and sample them. Bristol, RI.

1 Like

All of my persimmons have two periods of fruit drop. For me on the east coast, it is June and august. Maybe for you on the west coast, it’s possible you’re a month behind?

My advice is to hang in there in the NG. My NG trees are loaded this year. I’ve complained in the past about production- time was the solution. The taste is great. JT-02 is probably slightly better IMO but smaller. More productive at an early age.

Didn’t see that your NG has been in ground for 8 years. Mine have been planted for 8-9 years.

FYI, this is the first year for me where NG set fruit in clusters. Usually it was one fruit per small branch of new growth.

5 Likes