No Spray / Low Spray Orchard: Pears, Persimmons, Pawpaws

Planted 21 persimmon and 11 pear and put up a fence for rootstock growing. Pawpaws will finish the job Spring of 2020.

Dax

American persimmon 100-42

American persimmon Barbra’s Blush

American persimmon Deer Magnet

American persimmon Early Jewel / H118

American persimmon H63A

American persimmon I-94

American persimmonsLehman’s Delight / 100-46

American persimmon Morris Burton

American persimmon Prok

American persimmon Yates

pear Charles Harris

pear Comtesse Clara Frijs

pear Harrow Delight

pear Harrow Sweet

pear Hosui

pear Magness

pear Potomac

pear Seuri

pear Warren

Hybrid persimmon Dr. Kazas

Pawpaws 2020 Planting Area

Pawpaws 2020 Planting Looking from Opposite Direction

Persimmon Planting next to Strawberry Bed

36 Likes

wow! great looking orchard! you’ve been busy! i just found some pears that can grow here. put in a shipova pear on aronia rootstock and are looking to put in some more next season. grafted a few varieties to my mtn. ash. I’ve found some persimmons that will grow here but they take a long time to fruit.

Are the two you’re referring to Meader and Garretson?

1 Like

Great looking place you have Dax. Love seeing all the pictures.

1 Like

Thank you, Bill.

1 Like

Awesome! I have about 10 paw paw and 10 american persimmon seedlings in deep pots right now. I grafted 4 of the paw paws this spring (2 Mango and 2 prima 1216). I’ll put them in ground eventually.

2 Likes

I’m doing both seedling pawpaws and grafted. That alley I’m doing all seedlings from Lucky P’s gene pool “Mango, PA Golden, Sunflower, Overleese in the mix. Understocks are named-parentage seedlings from Corwin Davis’ nursery - Tollgate, Prolific, IXL, etc.”

Thanks, Tom.

Dax

2 Likes

Beautiful orchard there Dax!

2 Likes

Dax,
So neat, organized and beautiful. So much space you have. It makes me feel like I should look a piece of land to do that, too.

2 Likes

Finished the job properly and poultry fenced every tree. I lost one in two weeks. Had that slanted cut just like it was done with pruners. Rabbit.

And once again the seedling-rootstock area behind the trees along with a grape trellis behind it:

Dax

11 Likes

Wow, looks great Dax! Lots of hard work right there, can’t wait to see a picture of it in about 5 years. Dang rabbits, I lost one of my trees to them this year too. I’ve thinned the rabbit population considerably, but I’m afraid I will give up on controlling their population way before they give up. Mine are protected now too.

3 Likes

no. a wild type sold by oikios.

1 Like

What it’s looking like today as I’m caging. I’ve taught myself you could say a great way to cage. two people would be a lot faster!!!
Dax

This is Chuchupaka persimmon, front:

Chuchupaka after another 3 ft. of poultry fence added to bring above deer browsing height. The reason for the photo is to show that initially as I plant trees in the 1-2’ tall range that all I do is use any upright support for poultry fencing. IN this case, I had used part of an old tomator cage to apply poultry around. Now it’s 5.5 feet or taller and is ready to be trained to branch at at least 5.5’ or I like 6 ft. . . . all my trees are grown with the least number of branches necessary when possible to retain/grow a tree to 6’ to begin its’ journey branching (from there forward) . . .

This is one of JT-02 persimmons:

This is a pear:

13 Likes

Photos tonite December 15th 2021. 3-years of a bench graft. These were grafted indoors inside my basement winter/spring 2018 and put out mid-July only months after they were grafted .

100-42 persimmon

100-46 / “Lehman’s Delight” persimmon

Chuchupaka persimmon

Comtesse Clara Frijs / Clara Frijs pear

Dr. Kazas persimmon

H-118 / “Early Jewel” persimmon

Hosui pear

JT-02 persimmon

Potomac pear

Warren pear

13 Likes

What an undertaking!!!

3 Likes

You do good work. Interesting use of cane post.

3 Likes

Adding Shrubs or Updated Pics:

100-42 American persimmon

100-46 American Persimmon

Amish Gooseberry

Replacement persimmon seedlings to graft on later + a Chuchupaka already in the row:

These Seeds Produce Giant American Persimmons. I’ll keep a branch on after I graft to see each one.

Chuchupaka Hybrid Persimmon

planted a few more of those in that row.

Next:

Black September Currant

Blizzard Honeyberrry

Buff-6 Ribes odoratum (yellow flowering currant w/black berries)

Deer Magnet American Persimmon

Dr. Kazas Hybrid Persimmon

Garretson American Persimmon

H-63A American Persimmon

H-118 American Persimmon

Hark Pecan

Hinomaki Green Gooseberry

Honey Bee Honeyberry

JT-02 Hybrid Persimmon

JT-02 Hybrid Persimmon other one

Maxie Honeyberry

Nancy Mae Black Currant

4 Likes

Lucky’s Pawpaw Seed he’s passed around to the group:

Red Lake Currant

Rhodes Heartnut

Riverview Black Currant

Selbhers Shellbark hickory

Spinefree Gooseberry

Tundra Honeyberry

White Versailles Currant

Willoughby Currant

6 Likes

As I read posts about low-maintenance fruits, I’m struck by how pest and disease pressure varies by location. Apples are a good example. I give them a precautionary spray once a year with a fungicide/bactericide and that’s it. I’m not sure they need it. I’ve yet to have any serious pest problems - no need for bagging. But other members here are engaged in year-round discussions of apple care. My persimmon is the same way with regard to spraying but the fruit absolutely must be protected from rodents and birds. Our avocado is ignored by pests and diseases. Fireblight is a serious problem here for pears but insects, birds, and rodents are disinterested so far. My pit fruits are a step up, requiring winter and post harvest sprays plus animal guards.

4 Likes

I just added powdery mildew and white pine blister rust to my place. I know that much. I’ll have to see how it goes. I’m quite interested in honeyberries. We’ve figured them out in my IL zone 5b.

I think they’re delicious. I’ve tasted several and I like all of them. All of the late-blooming are the ones that are worth growing here. All Dr. Maxine Thompson’s selections which are pure Japanese genes. Strawberry Sensation.

While the rest of the world south of me (KY, TN) or whether the Eastern Coast where MA is zones 6 and 7 and things of this nature, every year I watch them break dormancy while my trees keep thinking about it. Everybody is hammered once, maybe twice before my trees wake up. Then I have a slimmer chance of frost than all everybody else.

I’m also aware that netting is going to be a large part of my life if I plan to keep a lot of this fruit, however, I’m in it to share with wildlife. I hope planting enough shrubs will feed me, &, them.

3 Likes