Non-astringent persimmon reccomendations?

Great thread. One aspect not being emphasized too much here is the crunchiness of the fruit. If that’s what you’re after (like my wife, who wants it almost like an apple in crunchiness), then you have few choices other than a PCNA like Fuyu (Jiro). Even Giant Fuyu doesn’t have the degree of crunchiness of Fuyu or Jiro. The tradeoff for that crunchiness is lack of complex flavor (one dimensional, just sweet). But even so, they are far superior to store bought ones (IMO). But what’s nice is that you can let them sit on the tree and they will soften and get a more complex flavor (not like the astringent varieties though).

3 Likes

My grafted chocolate persimmon tree was a gift from a cousin after I’d bought my house that happens to have a sizable area of land. At the time I knew little about persimmons. I remember my first impression of chocolate was that is was a lousy cultivar to grow. They’re smallish and full of seeds and they’re significantly less sweet than an astringent persimmon. If you eat the chocolate when soft it is mushy (which I dislike) but it has good flavor that for me took some adjusting to. I personally do not like mushy food as a texture thing.
Astringent persimmon (which are more watery than the chocolate) are growing on me. I tend to think if you like persimmons you’ll like either of the 3 types we’ve discussed, astringent, non-astringent, and PVNA but each of these have different texture. I have had all three of these and the non-astringent are the least flavorful but they’re firmest. Lastly, as Ramv pointed out there are hybrids like Nikita’s Gift and then American persimmons, which are more cold-hardy but I have never tried.

3 Likes

Giovanni… great information. It is one thing to read descriptions of cultivars on websites but quite another to have folks give their persona evaluations. Thank you.

Dan - thank you for the information. I had no idea about drying them and that they become less astringent as they dry. how interesting. In your drying pic, you are showing whole persimmons on racks. I would think they would rot before something that big would dry. no?? where do you put the rack for drying … do you just leave it in your house in a sunny window. with a fan? under them…special heated space, garage…??
very interesting. would love more info on drying process

1 Like

Similarly, these are rock-hard Hachiya, put in plastic bag with CO2 from Soda stream. Firm and sweet with no astringency in 48 hrs. IMG_0462

8 Likes

This website has a ton of useful info. You can look up Suruga, Tam Kam, and Gwang Yang; these are non-astringent as well. The Suruga (from what I have read) is the sweetest but requires a long growing season, zone 8 or warmer. Tam Kam and Gwang Yang are allegedly the more cold hardy non-astringent persimmons. I have no personal experience with these.

2 Likes

I have Tam Kam ripening this year as a non astringent and I think it is really good. The only comparison I have though is a store bought Fuyu. The homegrown Tam Kam is much better IMO. One good thing about the Tam Kam is that my grafted trees produced fruit in two years. I had four trees and 3 out of those four fruited this year after being grafted in 2018. Of those three they all ripened in sequence and not all at the same time. One tree still has its fruit, has been through several frost and at least one hard freeze and the fruit looks great and still getting ripe. I could eat them all now but letting them hang on the tree.

My astringent is Eureka that is really good and very productive tree. It has produced between 150 and 200 fruits this year on its fifth year since being planted and third year producing fruit. I start drying these when still hard and easy to slice and astringency disappears with drying. I use a dehydrator.

10 Likes

Best non astringent is probably location dependent. I’ve had good luck with Fuyu, Tam Kam, Ichi Ki Kei Here in Dallas. Bad luck w Chocolate & Giant Fuyu. I’m not sure about Suruga yet, 1st season they were still ripening at first frost.

5 Likes

I think I need another persimmon tree or two. I do like my fuyu but more would be better. :grin:

I am confused about grafting. any recommendations? Is the same rootstock used for japanese/american/astringent, non-astringent and hybrids? can you graft an astringment and non-astringent onto the same rootstock? If you are grafting another cultivan onto an already grafter persimmon… then the first cultivan becomes an interstem for the 2nd. How does that work?

Seems like I am reading that grafted bear earlier? I have only done apple and pear grafting. Is persimmon graft about the same difficulty level?

2 Likes

I graft everything onto D. virginiana which is American persimmon. Some people use Lotus and I checked with my state’s agricultural recommendations. I can’t speak to the interstem question. I’ve had good luck with persimmons and I’ve only been grafting them three years. I makes sure to wait until the temperatures are right (70’s - 80’s daytime and close to 60’s at night) and be sure to watch closely for rootstock suckers and keep them rubbed off.

4 Likes

On one tree we have have Tamopan and Chocolate grafted onto a seedling of a store bought Fuyu. On another tree Giant Fuyu purchased from a nursery is the main portion of the tree with branches of Jiro and Chocolate added later. So yes it is possible to graft the different types of Asian persimmons to each other. Even though the Chocolate produces a lot of male flowers, it seems to be a poor pollinator so many of the other cultivars remain seedless. We have other young trees but cant recall the cultivar combinations at the moment. Success rate for grafting persimmon has been lower than stone fruit but with persistence it all works out in the end.

3 Likes

Katy and Dan… thank you. Encouraging and good information! I have only grafted apples and pears so persimmons might be a bit of a learning curve for me. Think I will try grafter onto the Fuyu I have and get a couple of rootstock.
Thanks,
Mary

Thanks Zen!
This is mine. I didn’t have Vodka handy, so I used rubbing alcohol. I guess the process will finish quicker :rofl:

I love Fuyu. I have 3: Matsumoto Fuyu for early season, Fuyu for mid season and Hana Fuyu for late season. I am adding more cultivars. They are very easy to grow. Almost no pests, tasty fruits, beautiful trees. What else can you ask for!

2 Likes

I would NOT use rubbing alcohol !

2 Likes

Any concerns with it?

Toxic , not for consumption

I see. Thanks! That is indeed an issue. I will replace it with wine then. Hope it is strong enough to make it work.
I read from another post that the fruit may have alcohol taste after this process. I will try the apple approach as well. See how it goes.

2 Likes

Got any seeds to sell, perchance?

What about coffee cake? I was looking at it myself. Anyone have one to report?

Sorry, I didn’t keep any